PDA

View Full Version : Gloat. Maybe, maybe not.

Ron Bontz
12-10-2010, 9:03 PM
Ok I have had a Delta 17-959L for a couple of years that has a couple of things I don't like about it. All be it nothing major. So for some time now I have been eyeballing those PM2800 drill presses. Looking at them at the stores, in the catalogs, on line, watching videos. Oh the humanity of it all.:(
A serious case of up grade-itis indeed. The grass must surly be greener over there. I have been very happy with my Powermatic PM3520B. Perhaps I have a case of mustard-itis?? Well I just couldn't resist,gave up and decided to give it a whirl. So now I have two drill presses. Yes, I've lost my mind. I still haven't quite figured out how to justify it. My plans.......? I am going to compare it to my Delta and decide for myself. Something is gonna have to go. So sayith the LOML. I am suppose to be buying a moulder this year. At least that was the plan. So if anyone has a particular question within reason I can answer or check first hand I will be happy to do so. I have already checked run out on both. Seems to be pretty much the same. Does 0.0005"-0.001" sound right? Little bit of vibration so it was difficult to tell. I'll post some more thoughts on these later if anyone has any interest. And yes I have proof of my insanity.

Van Huskey
12-10-2010, 9:13 PM
The keys to check on the PM before you decide to keep it is runout at full spindle travel and the table lowering mechanism, particularly binding. If all is good you probably have a "good" one and in that case it would be my choice.

Ron Bontz
12-10-2010, 9:31 PM
I did check the run out at a couple of different depths. The raising mechanism is a little sloppy for my taste on both. The track is a little smaller than the Delta's by about 1/8th inch. in width. Also I noticed the worm gear had a bit of play but took care of that by sliding the crank arm in closer so about 1/8th " sticks out beyond the crank. I don't care for the keyless chuck but that is something I can live with. They are both 5/8th. I did not realize the PM was using a reeves system until I got it. I have seen them on lathes but not drill presses.

Van Huskey
12-10-2010, 10:02 PM
The really beefy rack is on the new Delta 18-900L.

Paul McGaha
12-11-2010, 7:47 PM
Congratulations.

How long have you had the Powermatic Ron?

What do you think of is so far?

PHM

eugene thomas
12-11-2010, 8:00 PM
well make sure ya post the one ya sell on here. both or them would look lot better in my shop than my old grizzly .

Ron Bontz
12-12-2010, 1:21 AM
I had pulled a muscle in my back so the PM sat in the box for several days until I just couldn't stand it any more. Some further thoughts....
I spent some time today comparing the two presses. My spouse asked me today if I knew which one I was going to keep. Hint maybe? I have not drilled a single hole with the PM yet. But besides being 1HP compared to 3/4 HP there were some things I did notice on both machines.
1) The dual reeves drive seems to be a bit louder than the pulley system. The belts may just not be broken in to some extent. On both models they could have done a much better job of balancing the pulleys. This seems to be the bulk of the vibrations on both units. The reeves drive will settle in at about 1400 RPM if you leave the knob loose. It also seems to run the smoothest at about 1200 RPM. Changing speeds is not all that smooth either really. I am not a big fan of this type of drive system, but it works. Wouldn't it be great to have a electronic variable speed complete with VFD? Just a preference for me.
2) I like the depth control better on the PM. The dual nuts keep it in place well and the third nut allows you to limit retraction/return for those repetitive holes without raising the table. They operate smoothly and take little time to adjust. The split nut on the Delta is a little sloppy but works. Also the depth markings on my Delta 959L were and still are an inch off. No doubt an opps at the factory. I don't use them so I have never changed/ corrected them. The PM markings are basically right on the money. The Delta also does not give you the option to limit the retraction/ return of the quill travel. You can only lock it in place as in for sanding. That I definitely do not like.
3) The quill travel is slightly longer on the Delta but not enough to really make a difference. I may be wrong but the depth stop assembly seems to have to be removed on the PM 2800 to use a mortise attachment. I no longer have a dedicated mortise machine so that is something I noticed pretty quick.
4) The laser system seems more of an after thought on the Delta. Plastic, touchy to adjust and easy to knock out of alignment. I sometimes bump it with my right hand because of the proximity to the handles. You also have to align it when you first get the Delta but it is fairly easy using the supplied rod. The PM laser is built in and was dead on the money out of the box. You can still adjust it if you need to. I also noticed the PM laser points more toward the back than forward. Maybe to keep dummies like me from looking into to light.
5) The built in led on the PM is nice but you can get a shadow if using a large bit. The universal light attached to the Delta is handy and easy to move around to where you want it. But the vibration is hard on the light bulbs.
6)The table on the PM was square to the spindle right out of the box which actually surprised me. I checked the table by putting my 36" straight edge on it. I think the extensions on the PM are so so. They are not at the same level as the main table. 1/16th to 1/8th lower when fully extended and only add about 10" to the width. The extension guides (cheap) lend a lot of play to the extensions. PM should have just made a slightly wider table,or not, and been done with it. The main table itself was pretty darn flat. The round composite insert seems flimsy to me but the material may be stronger than it seems. Reminds me of Woodpecker's new inserts. The table definitely seems to be for woodworkers not machinist. The forward tilting table of the Delta is handy on those rare occasions but a little more trouble to keep square. The table fence supplied on the PM is handy and I like the dust collection for those large boring bits with chips flying.
7) The crank to raise and lower the table seem to work just fine. Definitely not the two finger smooth operation of the drill presses from yesteryear. But functional. The delta has more of a 90 degree angle on it allowing for more power to crank and the track is beefier. But the PM seems to work as well with the smaller track and less angled crank. I noticed if the retaining ring is too tight on the top, the track doesn't move freely and some binding can occur. The retaining rings on both machines could use 3 set screws instead of one IMHO. The worm gear on the PM definitely needs some closer tolerances and better quality control but works. The delta uses a chrome metal knob btw as opposed to a plastic knob on the PM.
8) The base on the Delta is a bit larger than the PM and ok a bit fancier but they both should be fastened to something more stable.
9) Lastly the switches that operate the light and laser on the PM are small push buttons behind plastic. My personal preference would be to have toggle switches.
At the end of the day I can only wish I had a Delta 18-900L to throw in the mix and compare for myself. The grass on the other side of the fence may have been only a little bit greener and a bit expensive. But at least I got to have my curious George moment. Wouldn't it be great to be able to compare every tool side by side. And "that's all I've got to say about that" For now.:)