PDA

View Full Version : Mold Stain Induced Holly

Christopher K. Hartley
12-10-2010, 7:27 PM
Doing some experimenting I induced mold stain into this this Holly to see if I could add some character. The pics are very poor but there is some red and green as well as the gray color. Tell me the way you feel about it like or dislike. Thanks.:confused:

Nate Davey
12-10-2010, 7:38 PM
I like the bowl, not sold on the mold yet. I just cut up some Holly I left the bark on and it's stained through and through.

James Combs
12-10-2010, 7:43 PM
I agree with Nate, not sold on the stain but the bowl is a nice shape and I like the wood.

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2010, 8:02 PM
Love the bowl Chris. I to am not sure about the mold. I love the shape and finish.

David DeCristoforo
12-10-2010, 8:08 PM
Nice bowl. Mind explaining just how the mold stain was "introduced? Looks like it could have some potential even though it looks a little spotty here...

Dan Hintz
12-10-2010, 8:23 PM
Maybe it's just the pictures, but it reminds me too much of actual mold on my food... not something I want on a bowl holding assorted fruits.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-10-2010, 8:30 PM
David after turning I packed the bowl and a few other turnings in wet curlies placed in a large plastic trash can for about one and a half weeks and then boiled. after another two weeks they were turned again. The bowls had been first turned to about 1" thick then when removed turned to about 3/8 " thick. When they came out they had numerous blood red and emerald green splotches as well as fuzzy mold.
Nice bowl. Mind explaining just how the mold stain was "introduced? Looks like it could have some potential even though it looks a little spotty here...

Richard Madden
12-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I like the bowl for sure, and the staining I find interesting. Almost reminds me of some crockery I've seen. Nice job!!

David E Keller
12-10-2010, 11:06 PM
It's a nice looking bowl... The mold is interesting, but I can't help but wonder what it might look like if you'd left it to 'cook' a bit longer.

John Keeton
12-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Nice bowl, and while I love spalted holly, not real keen on this look. But, hard to appreciate the colors in the pic. It might look better in person.

Baxter Smith
12-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Interesting experiment but I can't say I love the results compared to normal spalting. I rough turned a couple of holly bowls last spring then tried to spalt them over the summer in tubs. I still have a couple in there since the spalting wasn't as pronounced/dark as I thought I might like. I wonder if yours would have deepened with more time.

Reminds me a little of enamel ware, so maybe I like it better than I thought!:)

Christopher K. Hartley
12-11-2010, 8:13 PM
Thanks all, most of the feelings are about what I was feeling as well, I will try spalting some as I have quite a stash.:)

Wally Dickerman
12-11-2010, 9:17 PM
Another vote for no stain. I believe that you have mold and not spalting. Nice bowl form though.

Wally

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2010, 9:19 PM
Chris - nice bowl! I think the mold creates an interesting effect but find I am wondering - like David - what would have happened if the mold had been allowed to grow for a longer period of time.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your spalting experiments. If possible - add a couple of different fungi to the spalt mix and you will probably see a lot more in the way of zone lines and color!

Ken Glass
12-12-2010, 8:28 AM
Chris,
I really like the bowls shape and coloring, but I have another question. Where did you find Holly that big? I use it a lot for finials and normally only find it in 2" thicknesses up to 12-13" in length. Do you have a source?

Christopher K. Hartley
12-12-2010, 9:31 AM
Ken, My shop is loaded with the logs now. This was part of a group of 3 trees from 12" or so in dia down to about 8". I posted on this a few weeks ago showing the trees and haul. Interested?
Chris,
I really like the bowls shape and coloring, but I have another question. Where did you find Holly that big? I use it a lot for finials and normally only find it in 2" thicknesses up to 12-13" in length. Do you have a source?

Ken Glass
12-12-2010, 4:07 PM
Chris,
PM Sent.