PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 3520a

Chris Lee
01-03-2005, 3:34 PM
Hey all,
I have been been looking at getting a new lathe. My Jet Mini is just not cutting it for bowls and larger stuff. I really think the most I could muster up would be 2000 to 2500 and that's stretching it. I have seen good reviews on the Powermatic 3520a. Anybody here have one that can offer some input? I have also looked at the Nova DVR 300, which is more in the price range, but I don't want to be replacing another lathe in a year. Any body have any opinions on these or any other lathes that would give me larger 20" and above capability?

Thanks,
Chris

John Shuk
01-03-2005, 3:43 PM
I have used the Nova DVR and it is pretty nice but it is not a massive piece of cast iron like the Powermatic which I have not used. I have laid hands on the PM and it is truly an awesome group of well machined and finished parts. I would like to believe that the drive system is nice as well. Dennis Peacock has a PM so you might want to message him and ask.

Gary Max
01-03-2005, 3:52 PM
Chris--if you look at the cover page of this site--at the top you will see a section for free stuff. There was a give away for Wilton Multigrip---by General Industrail Supply.
You should look at thier prices on the 3520a. I have never seen any better prices than they have.
I do not work for them--just wish I could buy one myself.

Bill Hunt
01-03-2005, 3:52 PM
I love my Mustard Monster.

Bill Hunt

Jim Becker
01-03-2005, 4:11 PM
The PM 3520a is pretty much the undisputed "bang for the buck" winner on the market today, IMHO and many other folks' opinions. The DVR is nice, but not really in the same league when you get down to brass tacks. Anyone considering the DVR really needs to do it hands-on, too, to be sure you're comfortable with the control setup...for me, everything is too small. (Don't get me wrong, it's a good lathe, but not one I'd personally enjoy owning) The PM, on the other hand, has nice analog controls that I find comfortable and familiar. Had I not specifically wanted certain aspects that I have with my Stubby 750 (twice the cost of the PM), I would likely have the PM 3520a in my shop "as we speak"...great machine.