PDA

View Full Version : Funky Problem with Universal Laser

Paul Grothouse
12-10-2010, 6:01 PM
I have a ILS12.150 and it is doing something funky.

I will be doing a large engraving, ~20" x 20" and it gets 1/2 - 2/3 through and the laser will jump to the right ~10" and continue the program. This never happens at the same place.

The engraving shows right on the UCP screen and I have tried running the file from different software.

I can pause the engraving and restart the engraving and it homes and starts off from the beginning of the engraving again at the right spot.

Universal says change the belt and the bearings, which I ordered, and if that doesn't fix it, an X drive motor ($800 ouch!).

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks for your advice and recommendations.

Mike Mackenzie
12-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Paul,

Check to see if your airlines for the air assist are hanging up.

How old is this system?

Is it consistant 10 inches every time?

What Speed are you using and what are you engraving?

Is it doing the same thing with different files?

Deane Shepard
12-11-2010, 8:04 PM
Paul - How is the laser connected to your system? If you have recently added any new USB devices to your system, it might be possible they are causing interference with the communication with the laser. When I installed my system, I could send a small test job to the laser just fine, but if I happened to send a bigger job it would download fine and then start running just fine, but part way through it would do strange things, such as the behavior you describe. The ULS people were certain there was nothing wrong with the laser since it was brand new. By a long and painful process of elimination, we figured out that one of the other machines that was connected to my PC via USB would interfere if the data stream to the laser was over a certain size.

This may not be your problem, but checking it out would beat $800 for a new X drive motor.

Deane Shepard
ULS M360

Robert Walters
12-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Mike would probably know better them me...

But when this happens do you hear a "whining" sound?
Sorta like something is winding down, then back up again?

I could be wrong, but I think ULS uses stepper motors.
If so, sounds like the stepper motor stalled (it happens) and checking belts/bearings would be the first step.
$800 for a stepper motor?! I could buy a case of stepper motors for that much.

Paul Grothouse
12-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Mike,

I am engraving raster graphics. It does not seem to do it when vector engraving. The engraving is consistant across the whole field. It seems to happen most often after there is a Y direction move of more than a small amount.

The offset is not consistant.

I two was worried about the USB issue as well and tried 2 computers and 2 separate cables.

It seems like something is slipping (the belt, motor?). I checked the bearings, they seem fine. The belt looks good, not missing any teeth. Do they stretch? It does not seem repeatable.

- Paul G

Paul Grothouse
12-13-2010, 4:16 PM
Slowed down the speed and it seems fine, I think the belt is slipping. New belt on the way, hopefully this will clear up the issue.

Mike Mackenzie
12-20-2010, 3:40 PM
Paul,

Sorry for the delay, The slipping is more than likely coming from the drive gear attached to the motor try to tighten it.

The belt rides around an idler pulley and is controlled by the drive gear so I doubt the belt is the problem. It is either the Idler pulley or the drive gear. If the belt were the problem it would be repeatable.

Frank Wick
03-28-2011, 4:40 PM
I have been experiencing a double raster, essentially side by side etchings about an 1/6th of an inch apart. I am working with the Universal Versa Laser 660. Long story short: I read in their recent update to the ULS control panel there had been problems with this offset rastering. Some have suggested unistalling and reinstalling the software. Some say move your USB cable to sort of wake the thing up. My issue, however, will rear its ugly head once in a while. As well my ULS would freeze up making it impossible to force quit out. I was really having some problems. Anyway, I hope you have had some luck at little expense.
I have just installed the new update and have crossed my fingers. The laser has only run 50 hours at most.