PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know how to true up a Vega lathe?

Ron Stadler
12-10-2010, 5:49 PM
I bought a use Vega lathe and am trying to get it trued up for turning, well I found that the head stock is almost 1\8 inch higher than the tailstock and little off to one side. So my question is, how does one go about truing it up, on my old rigid lathe, which is a tube lathe you loosened a couple things and trued it and tightened it back up. With this lathe I'm not really sure what to do, I heard of shimming the tailstock, but just can't imagine anyone putting shims underneath it every time they had to adjust it, that would drive me nuts:eek::eek::eek: So, I hope someone has a better solution to the problem, thanks.

Grant Wilkinson
12-10-2010, 10:20 PM
I would suggest that you call Randy at Vega. He's always been willing to help me with my bowl lathe.

Roger Chandler
12-10-2010, 10:31 PM
If the bed ways are not level end to end, and front to back on most lathes, then it will affect the centers aligning, as it is torque on the ways, and that throws everything off.

You can try this to see if it helps.

Ron Stadler
12-11-2010, 9:29 PM
You know I read about that awhile back Roger and already forgot about it:o, I will sure give that a go though. I havent got the lathe where its going to be permanetly stationed yet, but soon as I do that will be the first thing I'll try, thanks for reminding me of this.:)

Ron Stadler
12-11-2010, 10:27 PM
I would suggest that you call Randy at Vega. He's always been willing to help me with my bowl lathe.
Yep, Randy has been helping me out quite a bit, I was trying to give him a break for a bit:D, . Thanks Grant.:)

Ron Stadler
12-13-2010, 6:14 PM
By the way, Randy called me and is going to take of this problem for me.:):):) Thanks Randy.