PDA

View Full Version : Cutter for Sargent #507 rabbet block?

James Taglienti
12-10-2010, 4:41 PM
Does anyone know where I could find a cutter for the Sargent #507? It looks like the LN 60 1/2 R but the adjuster is different.
I have considered resizing stanley bench plane cutters, etc, but most wide cutters have a slot down the middle, and the cutter wouldn't rest on the adjustment block. It would just bridge it and hang in mid air.

I think if I got a 2" wide piece of O1 (already hardened) I could grind the adjustment slots with a dremel and grind the shoulders on a bench grinder without fear of overheating the steel where it matters. The plane body is a hair under 1 7/8" wide.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

David Weaver
12-10-2010, 4:53 PM
is 1 7/8" the outside width or inside?

I would just buy the O1 stock, scribe lines on it for blank size, cut close to them with a hacksaw with an 18tpi or coarser blade, file to the line (for width).

Mark the slot, and drill it out with a drill press as well as possible and then file to the mark there, too.

The shoulders you can do any way you want.

You probably know all of that already, but if anyone else reading this is thinking of making an iron, it's not really too hard and everyone probably already has all of the tools save a carbide scriber, a bottle of dykem and maybe two decent files. All of the sudden, you can make an iron for anything you have, and if you don't want to heat treat, send them off for that.

James Taglienti
12-10-2010, 5:02 PM
Outside diameter is 1 7/8" ... I was hoping to find a 1 7/8" wide cutter from something, pre hardened, so I could modify it. I would only need to grind back about 3/32" to establish each shoulder, maybe 1/4" at the most. The adjustment slots are similar to a 9 1/2, I could get away with just two slots for now, and the central screw slot should be easy to just grind out, even on something hardened.

Jonathan McCullough
12-11-2010, 8:00 PM
I've heard that Ron Hock can/does make things like that for unusual planes. Maybe also try St. James Bay.