PDA

View Full Version : Material for Patterns

Kenneth Reidy
12-10-2010, 2:43 PM
Hi All,

What readily available material would be best for patterns that will be used a more than once? I will be using a top mounted bearing router bit.

Many Thanks!

Ken
Albuquerque

Bill Edwards(2)
12-10-2010, 2:53 PM
MDF or hardboard.:)

Van Huskey
12-10-2010, 2:57 PM

+1

I tend to use what I have in the sheet goods waste pile BUT patterns I expect to use a LOT I usually use Baltic birch ply as I find it holds up to abuse much better.

Bill Huber
12-10-2010, 3:18 PM
I use a lot of 1/2" MDF, it is very easy to sand when you have curves in the pattern and also it nice and cheap.

I make a lot of patterns and do the first cut with the band saw and then the last 1/16" with the router on the table with a bottom bearing.

I really like using one of these on the band saw, it helps me a lot getting that 1/16" over sized cut.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18055&filter=band%20saw

John Coloccia
12-10-2010, 3:21 PM

+1

I tend to use what I have in the sheet goods waste pile BUT patterns I expect to use a LOT I usually use Baltic birch ply as I find it holds up to abuse much better.

Yep and yep. I'll add Plexiglass to that. It comes in handy when I want to align to an inside feature.

Jim Rimmer
12-10-2010, 3:56 PM
Yep and yep. I'll add Plexiglass to that. It comes in handy when I want to align to an inside feature.
What do you use and how do you cut the plexiglass? Will the same tools work for Lexan?

Tom Hargrove
12-10-2010, 4:41 PM
I like MDF, either 3/8" or 1/2". Cheap and easy to work with. If the pattern will see lots of use, you can reinforce the edge(s) where the bearing will ride with super glue. The edge will absorb the thin bodied glue and become much stronger than MDF alone.

John Coloccia
12-10-2010, 5:36 PM
What do you use and how do you cut the plexiglass? Will the same tools work for Lexan?

Actually, I meant to say lexan. Generally the same works, though. Cut on bandsaw, smooth with files.

Larry Edgerton
12-10-2010, 6:31 PM
I like MDF, either 3/8" or 1/2". Cheap and easy to work with. If the pattern will see lots of use, you can reinforce the edge(s) where the bearing will ride with super glue. The edge will absorb the thin bodied glue and become much stronger than MDF alone.

I do the same but use West System and let it stand overnight. I may have to use a pattern several hundred times, and it gives a good running surface. JUST MAKE SURE THEY ARE SANDED TO WHAT YOU WANT FIRST.

I never thought of Polyiso. That would be great for small quickys, but a lot of my patterns are large and the cost would be to much I think?

Kenneth Reidy
12-10-2010, 8:15 PM
Thanks to all. While picking up some 8/4 Hard Maple, I found a stack of 1/4" MDF. It is quite cheap and should work perfectly. I like coating the edge with Epoxy.

Ken