PDA

View Full Version : sanding sealer

Jim Colombo
12-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I've seen a number of great pics and all mention what they used for a finish but I never see anyone say they used a sanding sealer. Are you guys not using a sealer? What it the function of a sanding sealer and when should it be used?

David DeCristoforo
12-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Any finish can be used as a sanding sealer. It's really little more than a light, thinned down first coat. The purpose is to "lock" the wood fibers so that the wood can be smoothed before applying top coats. Lacquer sanding sealer has some soap in it to make it softer and easier to sand out.

Dennis Ford
12-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I use sanding sealer often. Its purpose is to provide a good surface for the final finish.

Rich Stewart
12-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I use sanding sealer to get rid of all those little pores in walnut.

Dave Ogren
12-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Great question, I am interested in the answers also. Late last spring I was turning some Bradford Pear bowls and what I noticed was as soon as the outside was finished and mounted to turn the inside they were rapidly getting oval. I mean in a matter of minutes. So while they were on the lathe I applied sanding sealer (Minwax brand) to the outside fairly liberally and continued to turn the inside. The sanding sealer stopped the getting oval, I am assuming because the moisture couldn't escape (these were fresh cut green) Then bagged immediately after turning. The outside got quite a bit darked from the sealer and they took months to dry. When dry, minimal warpage, and no checking. I have not sanded them yet, but assume the darker color will sand off.
If it ever warms up here they are next to be sanded and I will let you know.

Good Luck,

Dave

Prashun Patel
12-10-2010, 1:20 PM
I thought the only purpose of a sanding sealer is to speed production. It's usually a universally compatible, fast drying finish.

Shellac usually serves this purpose in the flat world. However, since the few turnings I've done rarely have a built up finish, and because application of each coat is so quick and easy, I've not seen a need for a sealer; I just use the finish itself.

A sanding sealer might be a less optimal choice than wax for green wood seasoning only because there's a chance it'll seal the wood a little TOO well and will prevent drying. Wax isn't such a great moisture barrier; it's a retarder which is why it's great for seasoning. Further, the wax doesn't penetrate, so staining might be minimized with wax.

John Keeton
12-10-2010, 1:45 PM
David Woodruff put me on to Behen's vinyl sealer when I was using lacquer for a finish. I was very impressed with it, and if you use lacquer I would recommend it. It may be compatible with other topcoats, but I do not recall what it says regarding that.

Jim Silva
12-10-2010, 3:32 PM
I almost always use a sanding sealer (either the Minwax one or shellac if I have any available). Pretty much any thinned out finish will work if I recall but the two I use are safe bets.

Don Alexander
12-10-2010, 3:42 PM
while any finish product can be used as a sealer the stuff labeled "sanding sealer" is definitely NOT a finish its just what the name says it is and its meant to make getting a smooth sanded surface easier on some wood its nearly impossible to get it smooth without the stuff

i use Mylands High Cellulose Sanding Sealer with pretty good result its a bit pricier than Minwax or other brands that are commonly used on hardwood flooring but it dries faster and i don't like waiting around on the slower stuff hehe