PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
01-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

I was able to get some shop time in this weekend and am trying to get a sharpening station setup for my lathe work. Needless to say....I'm trying to get better organized. Got a little lathe time and done a little flat work but nothing to brag about. :rolleyes:

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.....

Erin Stringer
01-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Since I don't have to be back to work until tomorrow my weekend has stretched an extra day. I spent most of the weekend hanging drywall around the shop in the basement and hope to finish this afternoon. Only 2 sheets left but there are quite a few cuts to make. (its my first time hanging drywall so I'm a bit slow). Nothing too exciting, I'm just hoping the walls keep the dust off of the rest of the basement.

Lou Morrissette
01-03-2005, 1:35 PM
After the parties and open house commitments were over, got a little shop work done by framing a utility bench. Nothing fancy, just 4X4 legs and 2X4 frame with doubled up 3/4" particle board top.

Lou

Jim Becker
01-03-2005, 1:39 PM
Did a "quickie" project...a Shaker style side table detailed in another thread and managed to bleed a little on the shop floor. Also cleanout out the former dining room to make way for a new couch and for moving home theater setup from the great room into this space. Other than that...shook my head at the dirty condition of the shop!

Matt Meiser
01-03-2005, 1:45 PM
I took a long weekend which started on Wednesday. I got a storage area for sheet goods built in the morning, and in the afternoon started ripping out carpet in our living room. Thursday was spent doing work around the house and then putting back all of the furniture after the new carpet was installed. Friday was spent with my family looking for old tools. Found a nice Stanley try square and a Stanley marking gauge. We came home to a leak in a valve in the laundry room--discovered literally 5 minutes before everywhere closed for the night. Luckily I had enough copper fittings in my stash to make a temporary fix until Lowes opened in the morning. Sunday I spent several hours working on my hanging tool cabinet which is almost ready for finishing. I'll post pictures of the sheet goods storage and the tool cabinet when I get our digital camera back from my MIL tomorrow.

Scott Parks
01-03-2005, 1:49 PM
I spent the weekend at home with a head cold. But, I did manage to clean up and tune a couple old hand planes! Made a few shavings with them...

Keith Christopher
01-03-2005, 2:26 PM
I managed to almost mangle a nearly finished project (see thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15392 ) when a template slipped. Got food poisoning on NY eve into NY fun fun. spent rest of the weekend recovering from that.

Keith

Fred Voorhees
01-03-2005, 3:15 PM
Does this qualify as the official "first beer" at the bar??? No matter, fabbing up the "bones" of the bar consumed my weekend. Saturday was spent deciding on the size of the bar and acquiring the lumber, as well as doing all of the pre-cutting of the pieces. A ton of half-lap joints needed to be cut and took a surprising amount of time on Saturday. Sunday morning found me putting the pieces together and moving them into the new bar room where they were joined together with more lumber and what you see is what I ended up with by the time Sunday night rolled around. This portion of the bar is 12 1/2 feet long and will turn 90 degrees back toward the wall to make an "L" shape. I hope to fab up the "L" portion tonight and tie it all together and be ready for the "skin".

I managed to talk the "better half" out to the bar and away from the massive job of packing away all of her Christmas ornaments and the like.

Jim Becker
01-03-2005, 3:22 PM
Geepers, Fred...I figured you'd be putting in a nice bar, but I didn't expect that it would fit 50 of your closest friends all at once!! Seated. (Nice job)

Dave Anderson NH
01-03-2005, 3:45 PM
It was a long weekend for me, and not just in the number of days.:rolleyes: I have been working on a website for a bit now and it has been a trial for a non-IT guy like myself. After several false starts and accompanying use of the delete key, I final published it to the net late Friday afternoon. Much of the rest of the weekend was spent correcting my mistakes and making revisions based on comments from friends and viewers. I'm glad it is done because I can now have a sense of humor again. The learning curve was steep and my mood wasn't always positive. Sue, being a smart lady, avoided me as much as she could.

Sunday was fun though, I actually got to spend time in the shop working. My naturally sunny disposition is now restored.

Ryan Singer
01-03-2005, 3:51 PM
Sounds like phun! I hope the creekers are all invited!
this weekend I was sick with the flu.. thanx to my sister. she passed it to me and we then passed it to mom and dad. they have been in bed alot lately, just passed out.. It was hard to have fun. I just went to my parent's house and played in my dad's shop most of the weekend making my bed... this year there wasn't enough days off.. oh well, you just gotta make the most of yer dayze ;)

Scott Coffelt
01-03-2005, 3:52 PM
Began laying out some design ideas for the fireplace/built-ins on the new house. I hope to have the house bids in before the end of the month, including the portions I am working on. So before I can bid I have to design.

Had some running around to do most of the weekend.

I also finished up painting our guest bathroom. I have a long list if items to get done before we can put the house for sale in late April. I figure shop time will be someone limited unless it has to do with a client or the to do list.

Jim O'Dell
01-03-2005, 5:16 PM
I got off work about 1:00 Friday. Helped a co-worker move across town. It was pay back time for helping me on July 4th weekend move to our new to us house. Sat. found family time as my parents, neice and her husband came down and we ate at Uncle Julios. After recuperating from that, I cleaned all the leaves off of the roof, then spent about 1 1/2 hrs pulling some siding off what is now an interior wall of my soon to be (or not so soon, as the case may be) finishing room. (see: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14427&page=2 ) Then on Sunday, after some morning work in the house, I got another 4 1/2 hours in on the shop rehab. Could have used another week off!! Jim.

John Miliunas
01-03-2005, 5:36 PM
My "weekend" actually started on the 23rd!:D Got the design for the new bench finished up, lumber milled cut and constructed the thing, including finish. In between, played "host" to a number of family and friends. Pretty much layed back the whole time, in no hurry to do anything quickly. Kinda' nice, for a change!:) Hope you all have a great week!:cool:

William OConnell
01-03-2005, 5:45 PM
Finished the framing of this 4200 Sq. Ft. behemoth. Man Im to old for this any more.
http://images.modblog.com/files/mbgallery/woodworkers/files/Tom&Robyns%20frame.JPG

Earl Reid
01-03-2005, 5:49 PM
We had a busy weekend, went to grand sons BD party, turned a few pens, spent severah hours on line trying to find a clock movement that would fit in an old clock, no luck so i got an idea how I could make the repair to one of the gears which worked and I just got it back together again and it works very well. I also repaired another old movement and am building a case for it.
Earl

John Miliunas
01-03-2005, 5:54 PM
Finished the framing of this 4200 Sq. Ft. behemoth. Man Im to old for this any more.
http://images.modblog.com/files/mbgallery/woodworkers/files/Tom&Robyns%20frame.JPG
"Too old"??? Yikes! I don't think I was every young enough!:eek: That's a monster!:cool:

Glenn Clabo
01-04-2005, 2:23 AM
Fred,
Yipes...do you charge a cover?
One little note that I learned from a guy who used to build fancy bars...put fiberglass insulation between the 2x4's so that it fills the cavity. It stops the drum effect when people kick it and makes it feel much more solid. Remembered to do it on my kitchen and sure glad I did.

Marshall Harrison
01-04-2005, 2:58 AM
Spent time Friday and Saturday ripping up carpet and laying a wooden floor. Don't ever lay a wooden floor that needs to be glued down. It's a pain in the rear and that glue sure is sticky stuff. DAMHIK :D

After church Sunday I spent some time working on the shop cabinet and cutting the wood for a tenon jig I'm building. I also cut the wood for an Xbox game/DVD case my son designed. Next step is to switch blades and cut the rabits/dados for those projects,

Jeff Sudmeier
01-04-2005, 3:20 AM
This weekend I assembled the baby changing table that I am working on, sanded it and put on two coats of stain. The first coat of varnish goes on tonight.

I also stopped on over to John M's shop again, always a great time to be had!

Jim Becker
01-04-2005, 3:22 AM
This weekend I assembled the baby changing table that I am working on, sanded it and put on two coats of stain.
Jeff, when you have the opportunity, please share the design of your changing table...I have one on my "list" as a gift for a friend and am looking at various designs. TYIA

Jim Dunn
01-04-2005, 3:24 AM
Marshall,

Tyler is the head of the pic police and we need pics of at least the tenon jig. He'll be calling or posting. YOU don't want that:)

Dan Gill
01-04-2005, 1:40 PM
Let's see . . . I have been off work since before Christmas, but spent part of the time at my FIL's house. This wasn't totally wasted to woodworking. I did build a shelf for my daughter's American Girl dolls (pictures later when we get it painted). Just pine and ply for that, mostly scraps. I also did a bunch of home improvement work, including installing a new toilet. I did get to make a tank-top cabinet for that. I also put together a firewood carrier out of scraps. Nothing to write home about (or take pictures of), but it will work. I also cleaned out the shop and got a little more organized. Nothing big or momentous, but I managed to get a lot of little things done.

Erin Stringer
01-04-2005, 8:02 PM
Jeff,

I will second the request for changing table info. I am in the middle of building one and would like to see other designs (always looking for creative details).

Erin

Marshall Harrison
01-05-2005, 7:40 AM
Jim, I'll post a picture of the jig when it looks like a jig. Right now it looks like 5 pieces of wood. You would have to really use your imagination :)

In fact I owe several picture to the Creek. I've been too embarassed about how small and cluttered my shop is to post pictures of it. I have 3 new tools since joining. I'll get things organized and posted shortly.