PDA

View Full Version : Ever turn soapstone, alabaster, or... cultured marble?

Jim Underwood
12-10-2010, 7:02 AM
Have any of you turned soapstone, alabaster, or a stone "lookalike" like cultured marble or acrylic resin?

And where can you get such stuff?

I was thinking about casting a large piece of rocklike stuff for a lamp I want to make, and figured I should ask the turners...

Kenneth Hertzog
12-10-2010, 7:09 AM
Jim
I've not turned it personally but I have some
and gave a piece to my neighbor to turn ( he had more time )
turned with no problems but when down to shape
it needs to turn real slow or the seams in the rock
will fly apart on ya. ( this happened to him )
he was polishing the piece
go to Colorado Alabaster and they will have what
size and color you want
Ken

Tim Rinehart
12-10-2010, 7:58 AM
Paul posted this thread a couple months ago, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=144845&highlight=soapstone and it indicates where he got his stone. I also ordered some, but haven't tried it yet.

Wally Dickerman
12-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Be aware that there is a real dust problem when turning stone such as alabaster. You turn with scrapers and the dust is like talcum powder. You do NOT want to breath any of that stuff. When turning alabaster small cracks will nearly always appear. Thin CA takes care of it. Watch carefully for the cracks. Exploding rock in your shop could ruin your day.

Wally

Paul Douglass
12-10-2010, 10:06 AM
As you can see I have turned some soapstone. I really enjoy working with it. It is very soft and I use the same tools I use on wood. Be prepared for dust though. It produces a talc as it is turned. Very messy. This will help also:
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/turning_soapstone.html

Have CA glue handy. If you loose a chunk you can just glue in back in place. You will need to poor glue in some of the cracks also to hold some pieces together.

Randy Gazda
12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
I used to live near a soapstone deposit. I made some bookends out of some once by cutting it on the bandsaw. I agree beware of the dust, don't beathe if but also if it gets on the floor watch out (slick). It took several times with the vac. to get it off the floor so I wasn't falling down.

Jim Burr
12-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Did few pens and stoppers from it, but heed the afore mentioned warnings...some soapstones also have Asbestos. Good retailers will let you know if it does or not.

robert raess
12-10-2010, 1:37 PM
I too posted on this subject about 4 months ago .I used to carve a little on pipestone.I started thinking about alabaster etc.Just recently i got some pipestone,which is just a tad harder than soapstone.I started carving on it, and flattened it out with a belt sander. right then and there i decided i am not doing this in my shop or on my new lathe.IF i do it on a lathe, it will be outside and on a $100 lathe.I bought a bunch of rifflers, and i think i'll just go back to carving it.It is beautiful when finished. rob

allen thunem
12-10-2010, 2:32 PM
if you want the definitive on turning stone contact dr lee carter in ft collins this man is amazing at turning stone
he also offers classes. wish i had his info but .........

Jim Underwood
12-10-2010, 2:35 PM
How about material like cast acrylic with truestone/rock powder? Can you get the raw stuff, and how much is it? Is it $pendy? I've got the ability to make my own mold..