PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Choices for Newbie???

Jim VanBramer
01-03-2005, 12:49 PM
I posted this over on the Turners forum, but decided it might get more exposure over here.

I'm just now starting to think about getting back into lathe work (the last spinny stuff I did was probably 25+ years ago) and need some assistance. I know there's got to be alot of lathes to choose from out there, but right now I only know about the JET's, Powermatics and Delta's. I'm going to be doing mostly bowl type work, and want the option to do large stuff eventually, as my comfort level comes back.

I missed out on about a 10 yr old Delta 16" a month ago ... called this old guy who only wanted $200 for it plus a set of tools and a duplicator (just wanted it outta the garage!). Told him I'd take it, and after I'd lined up a truck I called him back to get directions. He said that he'd sold it to someone else in the meantime (obviously got offered more $$$) ... Guess the world's still got its share of JERKS out there!

Anyway, I digress! What I'm looking for is some advice from you guys on machines out there today ... plus and minus. Models, options, good deals, etc.. Any info will help.

Thanks in advance.

Jim V