PDA

View Full Version : 14" Jet Bandsaw Tires

lowell holmes
12-10-2010, 12:10 AM
I had an old tire come off my BS. I bought two Carter Urethane tires and have installed one on the saw. I wish I had seen the evaluation for the Carter tires on Amazon before buying the tires.

The tires are 1/8" narrower than what came off and they are thinner. The tire shifts from one side of the wheel to the other and I have not been able to eliminate drift with the new tire on the saw.

The tires that came on the saw are 1" wide and the Carter tires are 7/8" wide.

I think I will try the Rockler tires which are less expensive and are a full 1 inch wide.

Russell Smallwood
12-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Yeah, if they are crowned and the crown moves from side to side, I think that will mess with the blade angle and you will get an inconsistent drift.

That would be my guess.

lowell holmes
12-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Actually, the crown is in the rim of the wheel and the tire is flat, but it still moves around and is uncceptable to me. I think the thinner tire has something to do with it and the tire and the blade seem to move somewhat in unison, so the blade angle is not stable.

Paul Murphy
12-10-2010, 9:18 AM
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10783 On Sale: $22.34 :D

I had the same problem with the Carter tires. Sent them back and bought the properly sized tires, which work well.

lowell holmes
12-10-2010, 9:24 AM
Thanks for your response. I'll check them out.
I have installed one of the tires and don't know if they will accept it back.

Bruce Wrenn
12-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Hartville is cheaper ($24.90, no discounts as they are on sale), but you have to order $75 to get free shipping. Add $8.95 for shipping of just one set of tires. Rockler costs more, but has free shipping. So delivered cost from either is about the same.