PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Choices for Newbie???

Jim VanBramer
01-03-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm just now starting to "think" about getting back into lathe work (the last spinny stuff I did was probably 25+ years ago) and need some assistance. I know there's got to be alot of lathes to choose from out there, but right now I only know about the JET's, Powermatics and Delta's. I'm going to be doing mostly bowl type work, and want the option to do large stuff eventually, as my comfort level comes back.

I missed out on about a 10 yr old Delta 16" a month ago ... called this old guy who only wanted $200 for it plus a set of tools and a duplicator :eek: (just wanted it outta the garage!). Told him I'd take it, and after I'd lined up a truck I called him back to get directions. He said that he'd sold it to someone else in the meantime (obviously got offered more $$$) ... Guess the world's still got its share of JERKS out there! :mad:

Anyway, I digress! What I'm looking for is some advice from you guys on machines out there today ... plus and minus. Models, options, good deals, etc.. Any info will help.

Thanks in advance.

Jim V

John Shuk
01-03-2005, 1:39 PM
It all depends on your budget but for the most versatility I'd have to go for the Powermatic but it is about $2500. Delta has a nice lathe in the $1500-$1800 range. I'm not sure how much the big Jet runs I think mid $1k range as well. If you can stretch the budget to one of these I think you would be pretty happy for a long time. The smaller Jet 1236 is what I have and it works but I know that I have to upgrade sometime. There are other options like Oneway, who has what they term a "mini" but it is alot of money for not alot of capacity. I think General mmakes some pretty good machines at a variety of price ranges as well. Sorry I can't be of more help but if I could swing it I'd go Powermatic I think. Enjoy the shopping process.
John

Jim Becker
01-03-2005, 2:19 PM
The best bank for the buck is the PM 3520A if you can swing it with the Jet 1642 and the NOVA DVR the next step down; both still give you continuous variable electronic speed control which, IMHO, is very important. The Delta in the same range does not have my confidence because of a number of electronic issues that folks I know have had...one friend went through three of them before trading for the Jet.

But, John is correct...your budget will dictate what you do here. Even if you have to wait a little longer, try to go for the best machine you can afford "now". Changing later costs you more in the long run.

Tom Mullane
01-03-2005, 3:24 PM
I have to agree with Jim on the fact you should get the best lathe you can afford, even if it means waiting a bit to save some extra money...
I have a Jet 1236 and I love it... I got it for a song and a dance from Amazon on a special sale... it does just about everything I want.. .but it does not have electronic variable speed... I am now saving for a either a 1642 or a Powermatic... depending on how the finances go... I have had a chance to use both and they are class acts... you would not be wrong to buy either one..

Kent Cori
01-03-2005, 4:05 PM
Jim,

I'll offer a slightly different perspective. I bought a Harbor Freight 34706 lathe about 18 months ago. It is a Jet 1236 clone and was only $199. This has been a great starter lathe for a very modest investment. All of the accessories (chuck, tools, sharpening jigs, etc.) can be used on a larger lathe such as the Powermatic 3520A (which I lust for ;) ). When I do upgrade, and I'm sure I will, I only need to dispose of the $200 lathe that I've already gotten more than my money out of. I think I can easily sell it for $100 so I am not at all concerned about losing my initial investment.

This is just one approach to consider. I'm sure you'll get other opinions from the fine folks here as well.

Darren Ford
01-03-2005, 4:47 PM
I will agree with Kent on this. I don't pretend to know anything about lathes, but it seems to me that a $200 HF 34706 is better than nothing. Think of the lost turning time waiting to purchase the $2500 PM.

Anthony Yakonick
01-03-2005, 5:06 PM
No mention of price so I say a Oneway!! Just go for it :D

Matthew Clarke
01-03-2005, 5:44 PM
Hi Anthony,
If you are willing to look at the Oneway, I would suggest that you also consider the possibility of purchasing the Poolewood Euro 2000. It has a 20" swing (10" above the lathe bed), 2 HP, all major parts are steel, 700-800 lbs, and the headstock swivels. So, you have a spindle AND bowl lathe. As an added plus, you can adjust the height of the heihgt of the headstock to suit YOU!I saved my coins for the better part of a year and bought the model with an 80" bed. This is one great lathe. Finally, the service that you get from David Ellsworth (their rep in the US) is just out of this world. Yes, it costs about $5000. Once you have it, you too will see that you really got a bargain. The only downside is that you have to wait 4 - 6 months after you order your lathe. Good luck, with whatever you purchase.

Matt Clarke

Matthew Clarke
01-03-2005, 5:51 PM
Hey Anthony,

I forgot one of the Poolewood's best features - infinately variable electronically controlled speed. There is a computer in the lathe that converts your single phase 220 to three phase. So, you get constant torque at just about any speed. You can change speeds with the turn of a dial in increments of 1/10 of a rev! How's that for control?

Matt

Bill Grumbine
01-04-2005, 2:26 AM
Hi Matthew

Anthony knows all about the superiority of the Poolewood lathe. Some of his best friends own them. :D However, the bad news is, the Euro 2000 is now a collector's item, as Poolewood has ceased production. They claim they are bringing out a new model, but it has yet to be seen.

Bill

John Weber
01-04-2005, 3:18 AM
Jim,

Seeing how there are plenty of ways to spend your money, I would start with a mini (either the Jet or Delta). That way you can get some decent tools and sharpening equipment (if you don't already have a good setup), see if you enjoy turning, and easily upgrade down the road. Plus the mini's are easy to transport, so you can take it where ever you like. I would also keep your eyes open for a old Delta or Powermatic out of a school. They typically only have 12" of swing, but are heavy duty work horses and can serve you well.

John

John Shuk
01-04-2005, 5:57 AM
Matthew forgot to add that when you help a friend get said Poolewood lathe into his basement you will get a nice bowl turned on it!

Tom LaRussa
01-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I'll offer a slightly different perspective. I bought a Harbor Freight 34706 lathe about 18 months ago. It is a Jet 1236 clone and was only $199. This has been a great starter lathe for a very modest investment. All of the accessories (chuck, tools, sharpening jigs, etc.) can be used on a larger lathe such as the Powermatic 3520A (which I lust for ;) ).
Kent,

I for one think you really deserve that PM 3520A.

Go for it man!

BTW, I have $100 in Xmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I need a starter lathe. When can I come pick up the old HF? :D

Steven Wilson
01-04-2005, 2:46 PM
Bowls huh !! Well, the Powermatic 3520A will certainly fit the bill and it's at a nice price point. I have a Oneway 2436 that I like a lot and you've already had the Poolewood folk's stand up. You should also consider a couple of others; Vicmarc and Stubby. If I was looking for a bowl lathe I would give the Stubby 750 or 1000 serious consideration. They're all good

Jim Becker
01-04-2005, 2:58 PM
You should also consider a couple of others; Vicmarc and Stubby. If I was looking for a bowl lathe I would give the Stubby 750 or 1000 serious consideration. They're all good
No argument from me!!