PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1624-44

Paul Lebel
12-09-2010, 8:36 PM
Hello I am looking to buy the nova 1624-44 Can anyone give me some input on this lathe Paul

Stephen Massman
12-09-2010, 8:58 PM
It is a great lathe for the money. Too bad you missed the Woodcraft special in October. I am getting ready to sell mine but I am a little far way from you :) I am upgrading to the mustard beast.

Bob Haverstock
12-09-2010, 9:01 PM
Hi Paul,

I bought one a year ago. I like it a lot, it is a good value. It came with a bed extention. Later on, I bought the hinge for it. I have not added weight to it. Mainly I turn handles, bowls, and urns.

I have never used the swinging head stock feature. The bango and tailstock lock down nicely. The levelers are a nice feature. I see that they are going up in price.

Early on I had to replace the tailstock handwheel retention key. I had it in 3 working days. I can't complain.

What are specific questions? I will answer them it I can. I sure that others will chime in.

Bob Haverstock

Hello I am looking to buy the nova 1624-44 Can anyone give me some input on this lathe Paul

Scott Hackler
12-09-2010, 9:15 PM
Paul,

This is the lathe I turn on and its a real good lathe.

Pros:

-relatively inexpensive for what you get
-quite a bit of power for a 120v machine
-rotating headstock that gets USED A LOT
-small footprint
-belt/speed changes can be done in abot 10-15 seconds

Cons:

-limited to 16" over ways
-limited long spindle turning without bed extension
-no variable speed. This would be a nice thing to have
-weight. It's not light, but it only weighs about 300lbs, out of balance blanks shake lathe

I bought mine a year or so ago while on sale for $899 with free shipping. At that price, this is the best but in a lathe, IMO.

The only real problem is the desire, now, to upgrade to the bigger better deal. I dont regret buying this lathe... at all and am still turning on it. Fact is, I will continue to turn on it until next year. Then I am concider moving up.

Stephen Saar
12-09-2010, 9:54 PM
I had this lathe up until a few months ago. It is a very good lathe, but if I were to do it again I would save up to buy a variable speed lathe. I got lucky and found a 3520A for cheap, so now I have a VS lathe and I sold my 1624, but even before I sold it I was wishing I had gotten a VS lathe. So my advice would be to save up and get a VS lathe, but even if you don't the 1624 is still a nice lathe and a lot of lathe for the money.

-Stephen

Richard Madden
12-09-2010, 9:56 PM
I've had mine for over three years and I'm very happy with it. Before buying it I had considered a mini, but the article in FWW convinced me to go with the Nova. The features I like most are the swivel headstock, the speed range, reverse, and small footprint. Sure, variable speed would be nice, but changing the belt is not that big of a deal for me. No regrets.

Mark Hubl
12-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Thumbs up from me as well. Bought mine a little over a year ago during the sale. Great lathe for the money and a good compromise. The turnable head is nice for hollowing.

Paul Douglass
12-10-2010, 10:50 AM
I have had one for about 3-4 years. It's a good lathe at the old price of $899. But personally I wouldn't pay the current price for it. At $1250, I'd keep saving a little longer and get a Jet 1642 or similar. Jet 1642, 1 1/2 horse at Amazon is $1649, free shipping. Nova 1624 $1250, no free shipping. That makes them almost the same price. Also, I have never been happy with Teknatools' customer service. But remember, this is just my opinion and not worth a lot.