PDA

View Full Version : purchasing a used epilog laser ..help questions

GLENN BRADDY
12-09-2010, 8:09 PM
Yes I'm a newbe. few questions for yall
24x20 epilog 35 watts 2005 what should it cost? what to look for? questions to ask? used 3 years. Engraving / Design shop (T-Shirts) owned by a older owner.

Any help would be great

John Noell
12-09-2010, 9:13 PM
Welcome to the Creek! I cannot tell you what it is worth but at five years old you may be near the lifetime on the tube (expensive). How well kept is it in general? That may tell you what other parts you might need to replace. There are a number of companies that sell used lasers (I got mine from Bill Neal of JustLasers) so you might compare it to what they offer.

Dee Gallo
12-09-2010, 9:24 PM
Welcome to the Creek! I cannot tell you what it is worth but at five years old you may be near the lifetime on the tube (expensive). How well kept is it in general? That may tell you what other parts you might need to replace. There are a number of companies that sell used lasers (I got mine from Bill Neal of JustLasers) so you might compare it to what they offer.

Isn't Bill Neal a great guy? Brilliant tech too!

Anyway, back to welcoming Glenn: what was the laser doing for the other 2 years? How was it stored? If you don't know what you are looking at, I'd suggest you find someone nearby who might look it over for you. Seems like there's a Creeker from Orlando, but I can't think who it is. Clean glass on top is NOT an indicator of condition!

I've gotten 2 different used lasers and they were both good for me, so age might not be a horrible problem, but you really have to know how many hours are on it, what it was used for, what other repairs were already done on it and whether any parts have been replaced. If it's an Epilog, contact them and they keep records of all machines and repairs. You'll need the number off the back of the laser.

cheers, dee

GLENN BRADDY
12-10-2010, 1:07 AM
The owner had an Engraving / Design shop (T-Shirts)business. They did mostly shirts and T-shirts. He told me he got into laser to late in life. He retired and closed his business in 09. Shortly after that he replace the laser. He said it was about a $1k from Epilog. He had a few customer he continued to work for. Not many. The honey cone area doesn't have to many burn marks mild compared to the one I saw at Wood Crafter which was used daily and less than a year old. If that helps? The price he is selling it for is $6k with everything supplies (plastics/plaques/stamping rubber). plus all the other goodies, rotary attachment, photo laser software, Air compressor with water / moisture filter/separator , Integrated Vector Grid & Vacuum Table, plus a exhaust motor. Oh he is willing to give me a few of his steady customers. And is willing to assist me as well.
Over all a 8/9 on a 10 scale.
Good bad ugly???
thanks for the welcoming

Glenn

Larry Bratton
12-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Are you saying he replaced the laser TUBE in 09? Epilog puts a 2 year warranty on tubes and that would carry you into next year sometime. It is possible to verify all repairs that Epilog has done on this machine, but it sounds like it has been lightly used. T-shirt shops don't have a big use for lasers but sounds like he did plaques etc with the machine. Do you know the Epilog model? The promise of some existing customers and assistance in starting your business would also have value.

GLENN BRADDY
12-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Epilog Laser Legend 24EX 35 watt
24 X 20 table

he also has a Newing Hall Rotary and Drag engraver
16 X 15 rubber engraving mat
16 X 15 metal Table
and a set of cutters and burnishing cutters plus trophy & Plaque supplies
with lots of engraving materials
for $3400.00

Dan Ashlin
12-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Barring any unforseen problems with the laser, I'd say go for it, its a hell of a steal frankly and if it doesn't pan out, you can always flip the equipment and recoup most of your investment. I bought an existing business with a much older laser and equipment for a lot more. In fact, its a horrible deal, you should walk away now and also give me this guys phone number ;)

GLENN BRADDY
12-10-2010, 12:28 PM
geee ok

1-407-YEAH-RIT.... No way.... :D
Thanks Dan... I've been looking for a laser for my business for about a year now... And wa la.

Glenn

Larry Bratton
12-10-2010, 2:07 PM
There are a couple of 24" Epilog machines on Ebay. One is a 35watt and says it is 5 yrs old and the other is a 40watt that is 7 yrs old. Buy it now prices are in the range of $8500.00. So, if that is any indication of value, $6000 for this one with supplies and a small customer base would be a good deal to me, barring any severe issues with the machine.

GLENN BRADDY
12-10-2010, 2:13 PM
thanks Larry,
I saw few last week on ebay... everything I saw was in the $8k and higher.
Thanks for all your help

Martin Boekers
12-10-2010, 3:55 PM
Can you try it out? Check with settings for vector as well as raster, esp wood cutting, .125 & .25

It's tough on a laser tube to sit and may have lost power. Call Epilog about replacement tubes just so you are prepared in case. They run about 2k with close to a 2k core charge. (refundable core)

X motor about $500, belts and encoder strips not to bad. That's all I have replaced in my EXT36 same era as yours. Great laser and great support.

The rotary alone is worth 1k+ Great find!

Not only that but a big key is he is willing to help get you started!

You'll enjoy it!

Marty

GLENN BRADDY
12-12-2010, 4:33 PM
Even before purchasing it. He told me today that he would even help me with corel draw. So we are going to meet a few days a week.