PDA

View Full Version : Purplehart Nostepinne

Trevor Walsh
12-09-2010, 6:14 PM
My girlfriend likes to crochet, you use a nostpinne to wind center pull balls of yarn which is better because it's "healthier" for the yarn in some way (has to do with stretching or something like that). Anyways, they looked fun to turn, and were.

Made of purplehart and measures 9" long, which wasn't as much of a bear to turn like I thought. I sanded up to 320, then padded on several coats of shellac and buffed with beeswax.

Mark Hubl
12-09-2010, 6:38 PM
Nice. I am sure she will like it. I like seeing utility pieces like this.

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2010, 6:39 PM
That is a nice looking piece. She is going to love it.

Trevor Walsh
12-09-2010, 6:52 PM
Thanks guys.

Mark, when my buddy and I troll the antique malls I take photos of all the kitchen utensils and things like that, I love kitchen gadgets and woodenware, even more so if it's turned. Utility objects are awesome because they help you with your day to day life, and they look good doing it. Well crafted things like that make work fun.

Which reminds me, here's a butter mold I turned from maple, it's unfinished to help with the butter releasing, and could stand for some design improvements but functions really well. For thanksgiving I made about a pound and a half of butter and turned it into patties for everyone. Half were herb. They were tasty.