PDA

View Full Version : Pink Ivory

Michael Ginsberg
12-09-2010, 6:05 PM
I am interested in getting a piece of Pink Ivory to turn a set of salt and pepper shakers. Realizing that the wood is expensive, I know that pink color is really cool. Will that pink color last or darken and turn to brown? If so, it seems like a lot of money for brown wood that is not so unusual?
Input welcome.

Mike Cruz
12-09-2010, 6:10 PM
I did some work with it once, but didn't have the piece long enough to answer your question. But, IIRC, that stuff is dense! Like ebony dense. Have fun!

Gary Herrmann
12-09-2010, 6:38 PM
I've heard that it can turn brownish. The things I've made so far have not.

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2010, 6:41 PM
I think if they sit in direct sunlight they will turn a brownish color. A bowl of mine sitting on the kitchen table that gets a lot of sunlight did but the other two piece that are not in direct light have not.

David DeCristoforo
12-09-2010, 9:35 PM
Only turned a bit of it but I loved it. Very dense... easy to make crisp small details and takes a great polish. None of the pieces I have turned have changed color. I like the really light "salmon pink" colors best. I will be using more of it in the future...

Mark Hubl
12-10-2010, 12:00 AM
I have not turned any yet. The other day the Woodcraft I frequent had a bunch of stopper blanks on sale. They had Pink Ivory and African Blackwood. I did get a piece of the Pink Ivory and will be turning it soon. Really can't wait.

One of the gents in our club turns a lot of it on his Rose Engine. I will ask him if it discolors and what he does to minimize it.

It is really a nice looking wood.

Wally Dickerman
12-10-2010, 12:42 AM
My experience with pink ivory is that it retains it's color quite well. Right now I have a few pink ivory pen blanks on hand which I plan to use for finials. I haven't tried that before, so we'll see how it goes.

Wally