PDA

View Full Version : Creating UPC codes

Scott Shepherd
12-09-2010, 3:30 PM
Anyone ever had to create a UPC code? I don't mean create one with the laser, but I mean create one from scratch for a product? I was asked a question about it, and they wanted to know if we had UPC codes on the products. Not sure where to "get" a UPC code, so I googled it and it seems to be very expensive.

Anyone ever been through the process? If so, any tips on doing it at a reasonable price? Not really looking to drop a grand to get the code only to have them then say "yeah, not interested, thanks". Then I'm left with my product and my code :)

Tom Delaney
12-09-2010, 3:41 PM
I had to do it several times but I honestly don't remember the cost. VIC"S is the term that I remember. I believe the UPC is a 6 digit code that is unique to your business and then there is a 5 or 6 digit subset that is used to designate the product (sku) that, again is unique. If you like, I'll inquire of my systems team to see how much they remember but it was 10 years ago.

Dan Mazurak
12-09-2010, 3:54 PM
I don't remember the name of the company, but it was Canadian.....I bought 4 a couple of years ago and I believe they were $75 each.

And yes, they are unique, you can't just create your own.

Richard Rumancik
12-09-2010, 5:05 PM
It used to be that you would have to register with the Uniform Code Council and get a company prefix assigned (try a search on GS1 to find the "official" organization). The remainder of the number you assigned to your own SKUs or whatever your company calls them. (Except for the check digit on the end which is computer generated.) To register, it would cost $500-$1000 depending on how many bar codes you would issue.

In the meantime, it seems that some companies have become "brokers" for UPC codes. Basically you are under their "umbrella" company and you purchase a few numbers as needed from them. They pay the registration fees and "resell" the numbers to small companies that only need a few. I assume that the Uniform Code Council is fine with this procedure or else they would shut them out. So if you only need a few that might be the way to go as it will cost $35-$100 per barcode assigned to you depending on where you go (it seems it is rather like domain name registrations in that the price is all over the map.)

It would probably be hard to justify getting your own company prefix assigned - you would need to sell a lot of product.

Doug Griffith
12-09-2010, 5:09 PM
I went through the process about 5 years ago. Yes, it is pricey and there are maintenance fees. If I remember correctly, you are first assigned a unique company prefix, then it is up to you to assign and keep track of the unique codes for your products within the allocated amount of codes you purchase.

I think the first tier was 0-100 products. The next step up is 100 - 1000 products. It goes up from there.

Check out:
http://www.gs1.org/

Scott Shepherd
12-09-2010, 6:06 PM
Any ideas what you'd search for to find these "brokers"? Seems several people have had dealings with them, but no one can remember the details.

I'm not sure what to even search for because I know so little about it.

Thanks for the help so far, it's been interesting to learn about it up to this point.

Dan Hintz
12-09-2010, 6:54 PM
Steve,

Gimme a minute... I had a number of them bookmarked.

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-09-2010, 7:14 PM
First you have to pick the UPC code. Honasly there is only one or two codes you can print directly The rest all require parity genoeration of some wild coding.

You then have to get the Font for the code. Even the simple UPC will need a parity to work with all UPC readers. I have a couple readers that will read anu UPC with or without parity. IF you have to do a job for a customer that requires UPC there are entry level printing apps to get you started. You can print to a PDF then import that PDF into corel.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/upc.htm

Scott Shepherd
12-09-2010, 7:40 PM
Michael, I'm not trying to produce it, or engrave it, I'm trying to "create" the number so that it means something. It's a product to sell and they won't list it on their site until you give them a UPC number for the product.

No engraving or corel involved here. Just need to understand where you acquire the number, and the most economical way to do it. If it costs $1000 or so, it's not worth doing at this point. If it's $100, then it might be worth considering.

Richard Rumancik
12-09-2010, 7:56 PM
Scott, try a search on "purchase barcode" or "buy barcodes". I came up with
http://www.azalea.com/buy-a-barcode/

They say "Azalea Software is authorized to sell individual GS1 UPC numbers that only we own and control. No other company or individual has access to these UPC numbers. When we assign you your number or numbers you can rest assured that your UPCs are accurate and unique to your company and product."

I have never dealt with them myself; this is just one example.

Dan Hintz
12-09-2010, 9:06 PM
Steve,

PM sent...

Don Gares
12-10-2010, 1:18 AM
Anyone ever had to create a UPC code? I don't mean create one with the laser, but I mean create one from scratch for a product? I was asked a question about it, and they wanted to know if we had UPC codes on the products. Not sure where to "get" a UPC code, so I googled it and it seems to be very expensive.

It is not near as expensive as it used to be. Point your browser to https://ezupc.com/factsmenu.html where you can read about today's situation and also purchase barcodes at a low price.

And no, I am not associated with or recommending the aforementioned site but I was on the early committee when UPC's were first established in the early 70's. The whole process, including price, has changed a lot since then.

Don

Bob Tate
12-10-2010, 5:02 PM
If you (or your customer) has the license, I can give you all the barcodes you want. It is part of what I do during the day. I can scan each one with an ANSI verifier. I assume you are wanting UPC's but I do do most any barcode known to man. Just let me know what you need.

Dan Hintz
12-10-2010, 5:06 PM
Bob,

I think Steve's after a new (unused) UPC number without worrying about the cost of purchasing his own block of codes.

Scott Shepherd
12-10-2010, 8:01 PM
Thanks all, I think we have all the info we need now. I appreciate all the help, public and private!

Robert Walters
12-12-2010, 12:59 AM
If you only have a couple of products...
www DOT buyabarcode DOT com/beta2/

I know nothing about them other than whats on their website.
I *think* I've even seen cheaper for a SINGLE UPC, but I could be mistaken.