PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Mean Caliper

Tim Rinehart
12-09-2010, 1:45 PM
I received an email from (mass mailing) Soren Berger, a very talented turner and inventor many may know of.

It was primarily talking about an end of year discount for his Thread Creator, a wonderful tool to see operate.

Also, and more interesting, was that he also offers several different types of calipers, such as sphere making calipers that help determine turn points for spheres...works well, I've used one of these also, but don't have one.

To the point of this post, and more interesting to me, is the Golden Mean (or Ratio) Caliper he makes. I would love to have one of Sorens' , but end of year is terrible time for new purchases that aren't absolutely needed.

I did a web search and found a plan to make one, which I think may come in handy. I usually eyeball my proportions in turning, but this may help at times. Some of you may find it useful as well, so here is a link to one of the links I found with proportions, to make your own. Very simple in execution. ;) http://www.quantumbalancing.com/goldenmeantemplate.htm

John Keeton
12-09-2010, 2:00 PM
Now, that is slick!! Neat post, Tim. And, a simple build.

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2010, 2:33 PM
I do my turnings by eye but think this could come in handy every once in a while! Thanks for the link!

For those folks interested: 340 mm = 13-3/8"; 210 mm = 8-9/32"; 130 mm = 5-1/8"; 80 mm = 3-5/32"

Tim Thiebaut
12-09-2010, 2:58 PM
I received this email as well, I had sent Soren an email a while ago asking about priceing on the wood threader he makes, since the price isnt listed on line. Although I am very interested in his threader it is more money then I can let go of right now, even with the discount, and I have yet to see it actauly work, Tim do you have a link to a video demo of the threader actauly in use?

As for the calipers, I was very impressed with the ones he has listed in the email, looks to be very high quality, and a unique use of design. Thanks for posting this make your own as I may just try and make that myself.

EDIT - I went back and read the email again, and he has included a link to the video of the threader in action.

Andrew Kertesz
12-09-2010, 3:18 PM
This is also referred to as a Fibonacci Gage or caliper.

Mike Stephens
12-09-2010, 5:00 PM
Capt. Eddie Castelin has a how to video on you tube.

Here is the 1 I made following his instructions.

Mark Hubl
12-09-2010, 5:47 PM
Thanks for posting this Tim. Need to put it on the to do list.

Rick Hutcheson
12-09-2010, 6:09 PM
It was also an article in the November 2006 issue of Wood magazine. THey also have plans for it. http://www.woodstore.net/figaandhowto.html There is also a video on how to use it there.
I also have a free pattern for one on my web site. http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/woodlathefibonacc.htm

Dan Hintz
12-09-2010, 6:53 PM
Tim,

Can you provide a link to the video? I looked at Soren's site briefly, but I couldn't make heads or tails of his threading machine and how it is supposed to work.

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2010, 6:54 PM
Thanks for the link. Could come in handy although I do most of mine by eyeball.

Larry Marley
12-09-2010, 7:12 PM
I made one of these. they are fun to mess around with.
I did make a hollow form using one of these to select height, width and where the widest point was. It was purchased by a mathematician.

I just use my eye to shape my forms, but did notice that when I really like a form, the widest point in the vessel ends up at the golden mean.

Jim Underwood
12-09-2010, 7:34 PM
Dan,
Just go to SorenBerger.com and click on the video link.

The threadcutter unit mounts on the tailstock. The thread cutter mounts in the headstock in a chuck or collet. The work piece is mounted in a chuck which is mounted on the unit's spindle adapter. The unit can then be adjusted forward or backward to move the workpiece to adapt for size or interior/exterior cuts. As well the hand wheel can advance the workpiece into the cutter, and back out.

Clear as mud? :confused:

Tim Thiebaut
12-09-2010, 8:45 PM
Tim,

Can you provide a link to the video? I looked at Soren's site briefly, but I couldn't make heads or tails of his threading machine and how it is supposed to work.

Not sure if links are allowed, but I guess I will be told if its not...
Threader video

http://www.blip.tv/file/2864219

Jeff Nicol
12-09-2010, 10:42 PM
It is a pretty tool but not worth the price of admission for me or for most of us. I have maybe $90 invested in mine and it works just fine and I can change the number of threads with just a couple small bolts.

Just like a painting, when someone pays $1000.00 for it then the next one can command more and on and on, sort of like a dinner napkin with a Van Gogh scribble on it becomes priceless. It still is just a scribble in many peoples eyes.

Frugal, cheap, or thrifty that is my motto! But if you got it spend it like there is no tomorrow, you either earned it or work for the government!

Jeff

Leo Van Der Loo
12-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Tim,

Dan I think I posted this link before, but here it is again.
The setup here uses a router rather than the lathe to power the tread cutter.

The chuck will rotate (the object to be threaded) and move forward when the treaded rod handle is rotated.

The router with the cutter can be moved sideways so you can make the cutter cut very shallow or cut deeper, that is where the handle on the router carriage is for.

I think if you look at these pictures you get the idea of how this works.

To get finer or coarser tread in the wood you need a finer or coarser treaded rod with the nuts, HTH :D

http://www.atbq.qc.ca/jm2/thread.htm

Tim Thiebaut
12-10-2010, 12:56 AM
What threader do you use Jeff? For around $90 bucks it might be something I am interested in, thanks for ay info you could give me, Tim

It is a pretty tool but not worth the price of admission for me or for most of us. I have maybe $90 invested in mine and it works just fine and I can change the number of threads with just a couple small bolts.

Just like a painting, when someone pays $1000.00 for it then the next one can command more and on and on, sort of like a dinner napkin with a Van Gogh scribble on it becomes priceless. It still is just a scribble in many peoples eyes.

Frugal, cheap, or thrifty that is my motto! But if you got it spend it like there is no tomorrow, you either earned it or work for the government!

Jeff