PDA

View Full Version : No. 80 Hock replacement blade ?

Steve Stack
12-09-2010, 1:01 PM
Recently I picked up a bladeless No. 80 scraper at the fleamkt and ordered a Hock replacement blade from TFWW. Man is it thick, so my questions are how do you sharpen this thing , do you burnish a burr on it and do you use the thumb screw to give it a bow to set it for use. Any other hints for using it would also be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

David Weaver
12-09-2010, 1:30 PM
Had one of those. Gave the scraper to a buddy, and he took the blade :(

Sharpen it like a plane blade but with maybe a little more blunt of an angle if you usually do 25 degrees. maybe 35-45 so the edge is fairly durable. hone the burr before you roll it, then roll a burr on it with a burnisher, test to see if it "grabs" by hand so you don't have to keep putting it in the plane.

The scraper plane that I had put mine in was one of my early on ill advised kunz purchases, a piece of junk with knurled screws that I don't think even gave enough grip to use on the stock blade. The screws were replaced with hex drive metric screws so I could get leverage with an allen key.

if you don't want to change the screw on yours and you can't turn it by hand, just use a wrench or something to turn it, but do it making sure you don't break something.

I personally would relieve the corners on the scraper blade a tiny bit and try not to use more bow than you have to, as it bows to a fairly deep and drastic cut pretty easily, and if it's too deep, you can make the work surface out of flat pretty easily. You want it to turn off a thin shaving like a smoothing plane would.

James Scheffler
12-09-2010, 2:49 PM
Recently I picked up a bladeless No. 80 scraper at the fleamkt and ordered a Hock replacement blade from TFWW. Man is it thick, so my questions are how do you sharpen this thing , do you burnish a burr on it and do you use the thumb screw to give it a bow to set it for use. Any other hints for using it would also be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

There was a good article in Popular Woodworking a couple months back. I did it as they recommended and it worked well. You sharpen the blade at 45 degrees, then burnish a 75 degree hook onto it. The hook points away from the beveled face. You can rip a board at 75 degrees, clamp the blade to the board, and use the board to guide your burnisher.

Jim S.

David Weaver
12-09-2010, 3:15 PM
that must've been a charlesworth article, because he does the same thing in one of his videos.

it is a method that works very very well.