PDA

View Full Version : Another compressor tank question

Eduard Nemirovsky
12-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't want to steer off Rick thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=154297), but coincidentally I am looking for the same - additional compresor tank I can use. Have Ridgid 2.5g, 135psi, 2.2scfm@90psi air compressor and really hate to move it every time from shop to garage or home to do a small work.
I check expansion tanks in Lowe's, I think "Task Force" 5 or 8 Gl. What I don't understand how to connect this tank to my compressor? It has a valve ( like tire on the car) to fill it in only. It is possible to put fast disconnect to it?
And most important - for how long this 5-8 gl tank will last - 100 nailes? 200? 1000?

Rich Engelhardt
12-09-2010, 1:21 PM
I picked up one at Wal-Mart a few years ago.
It was cheaper there than anywhere else.

Along with the fill valve, it also had a 1/4" fitting.
I made a "T" out of quick connects and put a male end on the T and a female quick connect on the tank.
That way I can plumb it inline w/the compressor or use it as a standalone.

Number of fasteners varies too much to even begin to list, but, I'll give it my best.

~ a dozen narrow crown (18 ga) staples - give or take.
~ 20 18 ga brads - depending on length.
~ a half dozen 16 ga.
1 - maybe - 2, 3.5" framing nails.

Best guess w/23 ga pins would be a couple dozen short ones -< 3/4", maybe 12 to 18 3/4" and/or 1".

Better 18 ga. guns than I run would probably let you nearly double the above figures since they are more efficient & use less air.
All 4 of my 18ga guns need 80+ (~ 85/90) psi to run right.
I usually set my 16 to 85/90 psi also.

My Bostitch framer only needs 70 psi.

Back to the aux tank...
I usually stick it at the end of the hose w/it's own regulator and run a short section of 1/4" hose from the tank to the gun.

To be perfectly honest though, I've gotten away from using the aux tank since getting a little "mouse fart" 1 Gal Coleman. The tiny Coleman is fraction of the size of the aux tank & will run on the end of a 100' 14 ga. extension cord if need be.
When the Coleman started making dieing noises a few months ago, I picked up a 3 gal Evolv pancake from Sears.

I just got back from Hartville Hdwe. and noticed they have a real nice tiny Senco - but - it's like twice what I paid for the Evolv.

Eduard Nemirovsky
12-09-2010, 2:06 PM
Thank you, Rich. reason I start looking for a extension tank - it is much cheaper then any portable compressors or this fancy CO2 tank Kobalt units:eek::eek::eek::eek:.
maybe I will just buy a small portable compressor and thats it.:confused:
Ed.

Rich Engelhardt
12-09-2010, 3:36 PM
IIRC, I paid about $40.00 @ WalMart for the aux tank.

The Senco PC1010 is a nice little machine. <--what I saw @ Hartville.
Runs about $120.00 though.

The Makita MAC700 is a very nice little machine.
Runs about $185.00. It's a heavy little bugger though @ 52 #. The Senco is half that @ 24#.

I believe my dieing Coleman 1 gal little squirt weighs about 10#. 15# w/a hose and gun - give or take.
I don't believe they make them or sell them anymore though,

My Evolv ran me $59.00 on sale @ Sears. Came with a 2" 18ga brad/staple combo gun and a coil hose. Weighs in about 20# and totes easy. Easier than the aux tank.

CH and Husky both make a small 2 gal lightweight in the $60 or so range.

It's a tough call - what's better - the aux tank or the small pump.

You might want to hold off and see if some others chime in with their experiences running an aux tank & the guns they use as to how many fasteners they get per charge.

Greg R Bradley
12-09-2010, 8:55 PM
An auxiliary tank is useful for some applications but running a nail gun will turn into a joke quickly. I suppose you might be happy if you want to drive 20 23ga pins and you have a high quality gun that doesn't use lots of air. Don't forget you are going to have to add a regulator so the constantly dropping air pressure doesn't drive you nuts.

I have a Senco PC1010 for just such stuff. I think it weighs 20 lb. Pretty quiet, easy to haul and can be used at around 50% duty cycle. I paid $108 at a sale at my local tool supplier.

I also have 2 Makita MAC700. They are a great machine also but doesn't seem what you are looking for. Fairly small, very quiet, and HEAVY. One has 10+ years of heavy, daily use and is starting to wear out. I bought its replacement at the same sale for $138.

The Senco replaces a similar Husky that went with my ex. Total POS. Waste of time and money.