PDA

View Full Version : table top repair - discoloration

Matt Day
12-09-2010, 9:52 AM
I built the attached table a couple years ago. The top is maple veneer over MDF. We recently moved and put a little basket/box thing on the table to hold keys, wallets, etc. The bottom of the basket appears to be a layer of hardiboard/masonite. The table is in front of a window which has a curtain permanently closed for privacy from the neighbors.

From the view the pictures are taken, the discoloration is quite noticeable, but from the opposite directly it's hard to make out.

I'm wondering if this was caused from sunlight or possibly something leaching through the basket? There's no difference in feel when you run your hand over it, no bubbling or rising of the wood.

Any suggestions on what to do about it? I'm tempted to take a sander to it, but it's only veneer and I don't want to sand through it. I believe the finish is Waterlox Original.

Tony Bilello
12-09-2010, 10:34 AM
One is, as you guessed, sunlight. Even though it is not intense light, the exposed areas were bleached by the sun. The other is possiblility is in conjunction with the basket shading that area, it is also slowing down the oxidation on that area. The only thing that I am curious about is that this happened in a relatively short time. I am not a Waterlox person, so I have no experience with it's properties.
Then of course there is still the possibility that something on the bottom of the basket itself bled into the finish. This could happen without any physical evidence such as blistering or roughness.

Because I am not familiar with Waterlox, I don't know whether the discoloration is in the finish or the wood. Here is what to do.
Either sand or use a chemical stripper right down to bare wood. Get a rag wet with lacquer thinner and wipe the surface. This will pretty much show what a new finish would look like. If the dark spot is still there, the discoloration is in the wood itself. If not, just refinish with a different product. If there is still the discoloration, give a light sanding all over the top and do the wet rag thing again. If it is still there, you will need a wood bleach treatment. Follow the directions on the package. That should help get rid of the spot.

Matt Day
12-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for such a good response Tony!

The table has probably been there for 4 months now, most of it with the basket in the same location. Would simply moving it allow for some balancing of the spot?

If I were to strip it down, what kind of chemical stripper would you recommend? I'm never used one before.

Steve Schoene
12-09-2010, 12:29 PM
DO NOT try to sand off the finish. First, it's amost certain to sand through veneer somewhere. But, even on solid wood it is seldom a decent choice for removing finish because sanding doesn't remove finishing evenly. There is usually some porous areas where finish penetrates deeply enough that it would not take stain or dye evenly. To get that you would have to sand extensively--like floor sanding.

Matt Day
12-09-2010, 1:00 PM
Would you suggest a certain chemical stripper then Steve?

Thanks for the reinfocement NOT to sand.

del schisler
12-09-2010, 1:23 PM
Would you suggest a certain chemical stripper then Steve?

Thanks for the reinfocement NOT to sand.

here is one i belive they may have it at one of the box stores. Don't sand like was mention . Years ago i refinish lot's of item's .The good stripper has been removed can't get any longer . Than what i would do is get a good pair of gloves for chemical . Than yrs ago i would save the stuff that came off of the stripping and than rub it back on for original staining and of course wipe it off and apply my finish . worked for me good luck
http://www.formbys.com/products/paint_poly_remover.cfm

Steve Schoene
12-09-2010, 9:41 PM
Strippers with methylene choride in them are the strongest, but they require SERIOUS ventilation and to use.

Jamie Schmitz
12-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Certain finishes will darken in the dark.Had you considered maybe covering it for a while with a blanket. It may darken the rest possibly.

Scott Holmes
12-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Before you refinish this table...

Have you left the basket off the table and allowed it to get full light, sun, whatever, it was exposed to earlier to see if it fades?

My first thought was that possibly the oil treated "hardboard" of the basket bleed color into the finish. (I know you said "hardiboard" but I suspect it's smooth oiled hardboard not the masonary hardiboard used on houses)

Chris Fournier
12-10-2010, 10:03 AM
It could well be the hardboard "masonite" that has caused this problem - especially if it was tempered masonite as they use linseed oil to temper the product.

Rather than do anything mechanical to rescue your finish I would put the piece in a strong sunlight location with nothing on the top and see if the colour might even out.

Or: cut a plastic mat for under the basket and keep everything as it is - who's to know?

Matt Day
12-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys. I'll hold off on any kind of stripping until I give it a chance to possibly balance out in the light.

The board on the bottom of the basket has that tight grid pattern in it which I've always associated with masonite. I'm not sure that's exactly what it was though. The basket is rectangular and doesn't match the discoloration perfectly, but we probably shift the basket a couple inches once in a while.