PDA

View Full Version : Stinger owners inside please...

Mike Package
12-09-2010, 9:24 AM
I posted this over at Camheads but I'm not sure that everybody who posts here posts there and I wouldn't mind hearing from other CNC'ers in general.

http://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=628

In a nutshell I'm experiencing a problem with my Stinger I with cuts - the problem is most readily visible when cutting circles, moreso at one end of the X travel than the other. Looking at the attached photo, the cut starts at 12:00. When X starts to change direction at 3:00, it reveals the first hiccup. It looks like X doesn't engage at the right time so the curve is off. Then the same thing happens at 9:00 when X is changing direction again.

The first area I looked at was play in the X axis between the rack and the gear. Grabbing the gantry and moving it by hand along X revealed a bit of play. I lowered the rack closer to the gears and also tightened the motor belt, which seemed a bit looser than the others. These adjustments made a noticeable improvement. But things are still not quite perfect and the quality of cut varies along X. Circles towards X0 are worse than circles out at the other end of X, etc.

I can still feel a tiny bit of play in X. I'm left with a handful of questions that I'd like to throw out to the group...

Is anybody else experiencing a similar issue?

I can still feel a tiny bit of play when moving X by hand, say <1/32". Is that out of the ordinary? Should it be completely immobile?

I'm finding adjusting the rack to be a difficult process. How can you tell when you're tight enough? Too tight?

If the rack and belt are tight enough, can there be play elsewhere, like in the motor itself?

What other aspects could be involved besides the X mechanism? I don't want to completely rule out a software issue as a possibility yet, but it seems like the fact that the problem performing the same cut varies depending where you are along X would pretty much rule that out.

How perfect can I expect the results to be? I know that the attached photo of a bad circle is unacceptable. What would you consider to be acceptable? With my CNC Shark, I could cut circles that were basically indistinguishable from the same hole drilled on my drill press. That's the result I'm looking for. Is that asking too much?

Thanks in advance for any and all knowledge...
-Mike

Graham Wintersgill
12-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Pinion loose on the shaft - check the grub screw(s)?

Mike Package
12-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks - checked that, it's tight.

Jim Underwood
12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Is that asking too much?

Heck no. It should be a perfect circle, no "ifs", "ands", or "buts".

Joey Jarrard
12-09-2010, 2:25 PM
Yep those will not do. Call Frank and get this fixed. Its going to be a loose pully or something like that.

Keith Outten
12-10-2010, 9:13 PM
Mike,

I have had to call Frank at CAMaster a couple of times, he has been helpful resolving issues to get my Singer up to speed. Frank is very knowledgeable, friendly and quick to find/fix my problems. Granted my issues have been minor but I have been determined to get my Stinger tuned the best I can right now rather than put things off until later when I am swamped again. A lot of my adjustments have involved my dust collection setup and my wanting to move the kill switch and Z Zero pad to the front panel and the control box under the rear of the machine.

I have not seen any play in any axis yet, my machine seems rock solid but I will have give it a good shake in the morning to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Mike Package
12-12-2010, 9:35 AM
I'm hestiant to say so, because I thought I had it licked once before only to be wrong. But after a few minutes on the phone with Frank he helped me narrow it down to to a loose set screw. What I was missing is that there are actually two on the spur gear, not just one. I loosened and retightened all the set screws I could find associated with the X axis and that appeared to do the trick. I'll do the same for Y and Z soon...thanks all for the help and suggestions!

Jim Underwood
12-13-2010, 8:55 AM
Whenever you have a brand new machine with a problem you cannot solve quickly, the first thing you should do is pick up the phone and call the manufacturers tech support number. That is what they are there for. They do NOT want you to have a machine that is down, and they do NOT want an unhappy customer... And everything I've heard about the CAMmaster guys is that they really want to help you.

But I dunno what it is about guys I know, but it seems to me they must think calling tech support is like stopping and asking for directions when you're lost....

Don't be that guy...

Mike Package
12-13-2010, 8:59 AM
Whenever you have a brand new machine with a problem you cannot solve quickly, the first thing you should do is pick up the phone and call the manufacturers tech support number. That is what they are there for. They do NOT want you to have a machine that is down, and they do NOT want an unhappy customer... And everything I've heard about the CAMmaster guys is that they really want to help you.

But I dunno what it is about guys I know, but it seems to me they must think calling tech support is like stopping and asking for directions when you're lost....

Don't be that guy...

Don't worry, I'm not that guy.