PDA

View Full Version : Stuck

Mark Hubl
12-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Ever get stuck. I am stuck on the top for this piece. The piece is urn like, so I will thread the top. I just keep getting stuck on the design. I have a couple in mind, so I think I am going to need to try both and have a dance off!:confused:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5162/5245894214_f3108f0aae_z.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2010, 8:02 AM
Mark - from the fragmented photos I sure can't tell anything about form - so it would be impossible to offer any suggestions. However, given the artistry of the areas displayed, I don't think you will have any problem coming up with a solution to your dilemma!

Looking forward to seeing the piece once finished! Have fun!

Steve Vaughan
12-09-2010, 8:56 AM
Love that little swirly thing embellishment going on along with the black. I just think the black really sets that off so well.

Richard Madden
12-09-2010, 9:29 AM
Mark - from the fragmented photos I sure can't tell anything about form - so it would be impossible to offer any suggestions. However, given the artistry of the areas displayed, I don't think you will have any problem coming up with a solution to your dilemma!

Looking forward to seeing the piece once finished! Have fun!

I agree. :D

David Reed
12-09-2010, 9:31 AM
I'm confused here.

Rick Markham
12-09-2010, 11:17 AM
The process must be TOP SECRET :D

From what I can see so far, it looks purdy! Sometimes when I lack inspiration on something, I have to set it aside and work on something else for awhile... I generally spend most of my time "trying to sleep" working my projects out in my head, whether it be form or methodology... Sleep on it (not literally, talk about a pain in the neck:rolleyes:) that's my advice!

Dahl Troy Perry
12-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I think the size of the hole needs to be larger and more of a curve. To the inside. Just my thinking.:D:D

Jim Underwood
12-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I think you should glue up something of various woods, cut it at odd angles, place veneers between, glue it back together, recut it at different odd angles and then reassemble, and then turn the whole dangblasted mess and stick it on that fragmented picasso looking thing... :D

Seriously. I'm with Steve. Hard to tell from the fragmented picture what to suggest. Sure would like to see a complete picture.

Looks great though....

Mark Hubl
12-09-2010, 5:42 PM
Thanks all. Sorry about the abstract collage. I was sitting at the computer and instead of looking at the whole, I was studying the various elements. Any way here is a more complete picture and some quick concepts for the top.

CC away.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5169/5247107375_72edf68b5c_b.jpg

charlie knighton
12-09-2010, 5:44 PM
Mark, i much prefer the middle picture, not in favor of the feet in any of them

Rick Markham
12-09-2010, 6:03 PM
I favor the middle picture of the three choices myself! Maybe the second one, with the addition of the 1st one. I like how the top ties in with the bottom in the second picture, but the tip of the 1st picture really works, So I vote for the second picture with the addition of the handle of the first one. (I've even confused myself)

Jim Underwood
12-09-2010, 7:38 PM
I agree with the choice of the middle one. It tends to tie the piece together. I would probably enlarge the finial so that it mimics and balances the lines at the bottom...

Curt Fuller
12-09-2010, 8:16 PM
The middle seems to suit it best of the three. That said, I think if it were mine I would leave it lidless and even open it up as a tall bowl. I like what you've done with the lower third and unless you can somehow continue with that theme at the top, both in the carving and the burning, I think just a plain open top is what I would do.

David E Keller
12-09-2010, 8:20 PM
I like the second one as well... I'm mentally picturing that top with the addition of three small curved elements that look just like the feet. I think the black coloring is one reason that the second top appeals the most.