PDA

View Full Version : My first attemt at a bowl with lid

Ron Stadler
12-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Hi, not sure if I ever posted anything in here yet, mostly just looking at everyones work. I know a few people in here as they are part of the woodturning club I joined 1 year ago. I have had a lot a fun with the club and have been learning a little bit every time I go. This really is a fun hobby and I look foward to many more years of perfecting my skills.

Anyway, this is a elm bowl and lid, walnut knob and post, with a red oak base. I really didnt have a real plan here and everything was done seperately and put together as I went, which is one of the things I am learning not to do. I am learning that it would have been better to have planned it out on paper and went from there. I could have turned the post and base together and made them look a little bit better I think. And the bowl and lid are two seperate roughed out bowls that I had done earlier this year from the same tree, but different parts of the tree and of course the grain doesnt exactly match. But all in all I guess it turned out all right.

There is so much to learn in turning, but from what I see in here and from people in my club, I am inspired to do better.:)

Michael James
12-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi, not sure if I ever posted anything in here yet, mostly just looking at everyones work. I know a few people in here as they are part of the woodturning club I joined 1 year ago. I have had a lot a fun with the club and have been learning a little bit every time I go. This really is a fun hobby and I look foward to many more years of perfecting my skills.

Anyway, this is a elm bowl and lid, walnut knob and post, with a red oak base. I really didnt have a real plan here and everything was done seperately and put together as I went, which is one of the things I am learning not to do. I am learning that it would have been better to have planned it out on paper and went from there. I could have turned the post and base together and made them look a little bit better I think. And the bowl and lid are two seperate roughed out bowls that I had done earlier this year from the same tree, but different parts of the tree and of course the grain doesnt exactly match. But all in all I guess it turned out all right.

There is so much to learn in turning, but from what I see in here and from people in my club, I am inspired to do better.:)

uuuuhhhh Ron....I don't see anything!??!?:confused:

OK...now I do! Keep at it, and save your 1st for reference as you gain skill. Above all... have fun!

Richard Madden
12-08-2010, 11:13 PM
I'd say for your first attempt you did very good. Keep cranking them out!

Baxter Smith
12-08-2010, 11:26 PM
The wood is pretty, you can put something in it, and it seems like you learned a lot. If you can keep doing that, you've got it made!:)

David E Keller
12-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Well, it's round and shiny, so I'd say you're off to a good start.

Have fun with it, and keep posting your projects.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-09-2010, 12:27 AM

I think I would like it much better without the base, but that's just my preference of course, nice work otherwise

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Really nice bowl. I have to agree that the base isn't needed but just my opinion.

Mark Hubl
12-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Way to go Ron. These pieces are a lot harder then any body lets on. Putting together a piece with multiple parts can be challenging for sure. Congrats on your first lidded piece.

John Keeton
12-09-2010, 7:06 AM
Ron, Mark is right - multi-piece turnings are difficult to pull off. Getting the "flow" of the overall piece can be tricky.

Looks like you have learned a lot already - keep at it! I do sketch my turnings, for the most part, and it is much easier to make changes on paper than on wood. Gluing those chips back on that turning doesn't work very well!:D

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2010, 7:31 AM
Ron - congrats on your first raised lidded bowl! Make sure you sign it and keep it as there is only one First!

You pointed out the major areas of concern for the next time you turn one of these. In addition to flowing curves - the wood used for various elements can add or subtract from the end effect because of the way they can grab the viewer's attention.

Welcome to posting on the Creek! Hope to see much more of your work real soon!

Ron Stadler
12-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I agree, the base is well maybe the color of the red oak did not go well with the other wood, the reason I added it and my mother suggested it, is to give further stability to the bowl, but next time by planning it all out I will incorperate that into the plans from the start. Thanks for all your comments.