PDA

View Full Version : Tank capacity for a given compressor motor?

rick carpenter
12-08-2010, 11:00 PM
I have a Ridgid 2.5g, 135psi, 2.2scfm@90psi air compressor. At one time, I was investigating a CO2 setup for a portable tank, but immediate interest elsewhere and lack-o'-money put that off. But I may have a better idea, now. I want to add another tank to my Ridgid compressor that will let it serve as a dual-tank unit and be able to detach for portability. How much capacity can this pump motor handle?

Josiah Bartlett
12-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Compressor motors and compressors are rated on duty cycle. As long as you don't exceed those specifications you can have as big a tank as you want.
A ten gallon portable tank is nice to have. I put a quick disconnect on my tank hose, and put a ball valve and male quick disconnect fitting on my tank. I just put the connectors together and open the valve when I want to fill the tank. If your compressor isn't rated for a high duty cycle, fill the compressor tank and let it shut off and cool down before filling the aux tank. (I'll be "That guy" and tell you that I have a continuous duty rated industrial compressor)

rick carpenter
12-09-2010, 2:28 AM
Thanks, good thoughts. Where/how would I find the duty cycle rating of my compressor motor? All I find are the specs I mentioned earlier. Maybe call Ridgid?

Dewayne Reding
12-09-2010, 5:43 AM
Maybe find the operator manual online if you don't have it? Often times duty cycle is listed in the specs.

Stephen Cherry
12-09-2010, 9:20 AM
One thing to remember about the low dollar compressors is that they can cook themselves in pretty short order, and there is no turning back. I would think that twice the time to fill the stock tank would be a good number to start with. Feel the thing and see if it feels like it just popped out of the oven.