PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 20" x 37" Variable Speed Lathe 70-450

Derek Voigt
12-08-2010, 9:28 PM
So I saw that new Rikon monster lathe today online, and I'm keeping my market open for a large 18"+ swing (eventually)...

I'm not a lathe expert but I'm not overly impressed with the listed features:

1) Swivel Head - rotates for turning of larger projects --> i know there is a debate about rotating heads or sliding heads, so whatever your preference.

2) Electronic Variable Speed - retains torque with the use of six speed ranges from 50 rpm up to 3850 rpm --> I think 50 is too fast for 20" turnings... (30" with out board attachment) and it is variable speed, why do I need to have 6 different speed settings... give me a high and low, I'll turn the knob to dial in what I want.

3) Heavy Cast Iron Base - sturdy stand with wide footprint ensures greater stability --> well that is a given

4) 24 Position Index Head/Locking Spindle - allows accurate pattern work to be performed on projects such as fluting, grooving, drilling and layout --> sure good deal

5)1.5 HP 220 volt motor --> I guess I would like to see something rated at 2HP, but maybe that is just a marketing affect on me.

6) price $2400.. I would go for the 18" model from grizzly and spend some cash on a separate outboard attachment to turn larger bowls... or save up a little more for a used Powermatic...

What do the experts think?

D.

Thomas Canfield
12-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Not an expert, but you should do a direct comparison to a Powermatic 3520B with 2HP and about 300# more weight. Yes, it does cost more and the head does not swivel, but it is a proven machine. 1.5 HP may be desirable vecause of 120V versus 220V for 2HP, but for that size machine, you want some HP. I can bog down my 3520B, and that is with 15" diameter or so material and not full 20". I have done some rough outs on 20" at 180 rpm but mass of machine works well to ovecome out of balance.

David E Keller
12-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I'd pass... I've got a small Rikon lathe that I've really enjoyed, but I think I'd stick with the usual suspects when choosing a lathe in that price range.

Derek Voigt
12-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Not an expert, but you should do a direct comparison to a Powermatic 3520B with 2HP and about 300# more weight. Yes, it does cost more and the head does not swivel, but it is a proven machine. 1.5 HP may be desirable vecause of 120V versus 220V for 2HP, but for that size machine, you want some HP. I can bog down my 3520B, and that is with 15" diameter or so material and not full 20". I have done some rough outs on 20" at 180 rpm but mass of machine works well to ovecome out of balance.

The head doesn't swivel on the powermatic, but it slides. And you still need to run 220V for this Rikon too...

Thom Sturgill
12-09-2010, 7:55 AM
I've looked at that lathe too and thought the price was high BUT everyone jumps up in price when you go to 20" or more swing even if the other specs don't improve.
I would like to see more HP (2.5 - 3) even though OneWay uses 1 1/2hp. - I hear reports of it being easy to bog down. If 18" is big enough then the Griz looks good for specs and price - I am waiting for more reports before I judge it though as they have a poor rep amongst turners.

Dennis Ford
12-09-2010, 5:56 PM
The swivel head would concern me. Unless it is very well made, it is likely to have alignment issues eventually.

With six ranges, 1-1/2 hp will be plenty. The better VFD units do a good job of maintaining torque at reduced speed BUT moving the belt to a lower range multiplies the torque. A 1-1/2 hp motor at full speed has the same power as a 3 hp motor at half speed. If moving the belt is too much trouble then you need a big motor.

In my opinion 50 rpm is too slow for turning a 20" diameter piece but is useful for sanding and finishing.

Jeff Nicol
12-09-2010, 10:48 PM
We have a local guy who has the full line of Rikon tools and I am not impressed with the big lathe at all. It seems short and clumsy and just not built anywhere close to the PM3520B. They are in totally different classes. For the money the Grizzly would be my choice over the Rikon, but the bandsaws are excellent.

Jeff