PDA

View Full Version : Static phase converter for Dust Collector?

tom martin
12-08-2010, 9:04 PM
I got a deal on a Torrit 2 hp cyclone, but its 3 phase! I looked at static phase converters on line and one place listed dust collecters as hard start and recommended a rotary converter$$. I don't have a clue what to do. I even thought about replacing the 3 phase motor /blower with my grizzly 2 hp dust collector motor!
Does anyone use a static converter on a 2 hp dust collector or do I need the rotary?
Thanks,
Tom

Rusty Eads
12-09-2010, 2:35 AM
Go VFD. For a 2 hp motor it won't cost more than $200, if that, for a good quality one. I have a 4hp Coral dust collector that I am saving up for a VFD to run it. The VFD will give you full 2 hp whereas the static converter will cause you to lose 1/3 of your power.

As a side note, if you are planning on getting other 3 phase equipment than the rotary may be the way to go.

John Coloccia
12-09-2010, 5:06 AM
Personally, I would just replace the motor.

Jeff Monson
12-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I cant see why a static converter would not work just fine. I cant see why a DC would be listed as hard start??? I use a rotary for my 3 phase machine but if a DC is all I was powering I'd look hard at a static converter.

Rod Sheridan
12-09-2010, 1:07 PM
Dust collectors normally run near full motor load.

A static converter won't be able to run a 3 phase motor at full load, however a rotary converter, or VFD will.

If you have the correct rating motor in single phase available, just replace the three phase motor.

Regards, Rod.

John Coloccia
12-09-2010, 3:33 PM
My reason for replacing the motor is by the time you by whatever converter you're going to buy, you're close to what you would spend for a motor, and if you buy a used motor or grab one out of an old tool you get used, you may even be ahead of the game. It just seems to me like you don't save very much with a converter, that's all. I could be wrong.

James Boster
12-09-2010, 8:33 PM
I am running my 3hp torrit on a VFD and it works great. You can get a TECO FM50 for 2hp for about $145 plus s&h.

Jarrett Vibert
12-10-2010, 5:10 AM
If this is going to be your only 3ph piece of equipment, IMHO a VFD is your best bet. Now if you want to keep 3ph equipment on your wish list, and don't mind opening your pocket book. Go for the rotary converter...

If you're not in a rush, you may even be able to pick up the motors/equipment to build you own rotary converter as cheaply as a new 2hp VFD from an industrial auction.

Bruce Page
12-10-2010, 12:54 PM
I've been using a Phase-A-Matic static converter on my milling machine & lathe for 15-20 years without a lick of trouble.

Andrew DiLorenzo
12-12-2010, 10:45 PM
I have a rotary phase converter. I previously used it in my business and brought it home when I got three phase power. The thing weighs a ton (not really, but it is heavy). There is a box of capacitors that goes with it, and you will need a heavy duty switch to turn it on and off. It drove a five hp machine for short periods at a time.