PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak NE

Ken Hill
12-08-2010, 6:48 PM
This one I did several weeks back and I can see alot of improvement since I turned this one. The curve isnt real bad but the sides got long on me, but I will chalk this one up to learning and move on.

Red Oak
7.5 x 5 x 1/4 shy
Will get the Antique Oil and a buff then off in a box for a Christmas gift

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/CMR3209/1119711470_BVKwY-O.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/CMR3213/1119711559_BVUeD-O.jpg

Russell Eaton
12-08-2010, 7:18 PM
I love the way the grain wraps all the way around the bowl. I like the shape the way it is, nice job.

Mark Hubl
12-08-2010, 7:34 PM
Ken,

I have to agree, it did get a bit deep. Still a good curve though. Love the wood. The bands make for a nice looking piece. I have not done a lot of NE bowls. One thing I have noticed is, they can lead to surprises.

Jim Burr
12-08-2010, 8:04 PM
Wow!! Deep and the bark stayed on? Your a good influence on me so far!! The grain and finish is a great plus on this piece. :D:D:cool:

Baxter Smith
12-08-2010, 8:12 PM
Pretty grain in that bowl Ken. Someone is going to love it!

John Keeton
12-08-2010, 9:01 PM
Well, so much for game calls!!!:rolleyes: He has become a bowl turner!

Nice work, Ken - you may have found your niche.

Ken Hill
12-08-2010, 9:14 PM
Thanks folks, I really like the NE stuff. I am almost out of cut blanks and my back still wont let me fire up a saw, however, when I cut new blanks I will have a better idea of what I need to cut and how to cut it to get the best NE I can from it. I think going deep was more of a learning deal then a "want", but it all adds up to expierence!

John, Ive been selling calls non stop, infact have some I have to make tomorrow...and friday kicks off duck season. Bear season, atleast the first week is a total bust, way to much snow so hopefully the quackers will cooperate. The dog will earn his keep, I aint getting out of the boat for nothing if I can help it:D

I did receive my HF drill.....in all honesty I prefer my regular el cheapo drill, but i'm sure I will put it to use!

Rich Aldrich
12-08-2010, 9:20 PM
Really nice work and a nice piece of wood. I am surprised it doesnt look more porous as oak tends to be more open grain.

Ken Hill
12-08-2010, 9:24 PM
Rich, lots of sanding!

David E Keller
12-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Nice work on the bark and the finish... I guess I prefer more open forms rather than deep forms, but you've done a nice job on this one.

brian watts
12-09-2010, 1:13 AM
Thanks folks, I really like the NE stuff. I am almost out of cut blanks and my back still wont let me fire up a saw, however, when I cut new blanks I will have a better idea of what I need to cut and how to cut it to get the best NE I can from it. I think going deep was more of a learning deal then a "want", but it all adds up to expierence!

John, Ive been selling calls non stop, infact have some I have to make tomorrow...and friday kicks off duck season. Bear season, atleast the first week is a total bust, way to much snow so hopefully the quackers will cooperate. The dog will earn his keep, I aint getting out of the boat for nothing if I can help it:D

I did receive my HF drill.....in all honesty I prefer my regular el cheapo drill, but i'm sure I will put it to use!

you sell that many turkey calls? people around here are not much in to custom stuff..

Ken Hill
12-09-2010, 3:14 AM
A fair amount, most folks here have been raised on box calls so its hard to get them to try a friction call. Deer and Predator calls are the biggest sellers.

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2010, 7:49 AM
Ken - nice work! Your taste in form will change with experience! Nice work on the finish! Usually with beginning bowl turners you can spot tearout somewhere on the interior walls. Have not seen that with your work - so you must have pretty good tool control!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work! Hope your back gets better soon! Also - good luck hunting!

steven carter
12-09-2010, 8:15 AM
Ken,

Very nice NE bowl. I see nothing wrong with the shape or the depth. I think that some variety in proportion is a good thing, within reason of course. Job well done!

Steve

Ken Hill
12-09-2010, 9:16 AM
Ken - nice work! Your taste in form will change with experience! Nice work on the finish! Usually with beginning bowl turners you can spot tearout somewhere on the interior walls. Have not seen that with your work - so you must have pretty good tool control!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work! Hope your back gets better soon! Also - good luck hunting!

I really appreciate the comments Steve.

Thanks as well Steve C. Its ok, but I think I would prefer it either more rounded or shallow, but like everything else personal likes differ. It will hold several pounds of M&M's....so it isnt a waste:D

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Really nice NE and finish looks great. Love the grain of that wood.

Rob Cunningham
12-10-2010, 8:37 AM
Good looking NE bowl Ken. Nice grain pattern in there.