PDA

View Full Version : What size Bandsaw Blade?

Dean Ousterhout
12-08-2010, 6:03 PM
I have a Delta 14 band saw with an extender. The distance between the two wheels is 31".

My old blade bent and I threw it away, thinking I had some replacements, but they are all too short.

So... I need some recommendations for where to buy a couple new blades, and how to figure out what size to buy? I guess I could just run the tape around and measure, but I figure you guys probably already know this answer... :)

Thanks for the help

Dean Ousterhout
12-08-2010, 6:08 PM
ok... I think I figured it out... pi*D ( half a circumference on top, half on bottom) plus 2 of the 31's, one for each side...

so 3.14*14=43.974 ... so make it 44 plus 62 = 106

That sound about right?

ok... so much for being lazy... sorry to bother you... :) Guess I will do some readin...

Dan Karachio
12-08-2010, 6:13 PM
I dealt with this with an old bandsaw and it was a bit of trial and error. Then you can bet I wrote that down many places! Do you have a model number anywhere? I believe most of the Delta's are essentially the same design for years, but I would imagine there is some variability and the riser makes it interesting. Sorry, not much help here, but I would see if you can find the exact model number and search from there.

A chart like this doesn't really help when you consider your riser block!
http://www.toolcenter.com/BBLADEFAQ.html

Depending on how old your saw is, this seems like a place to start:
http://www.old-woodworking-tools.net/delta-band-saw.html

Van Huskey
12-08-2010, 6:44 PM
Generally, the Delta 14" cast saws and its clones with a riser block use a 105" blade so you are in the ballpark but I might get a 105" blade so you don't tun out of tension ability.

del schisler
12-08-2010, 6:49 PM
[QUOTE=Dean Ousterhout;1579448]I have a Delta 14 band saw with an extender. The distance between the two wheels is 31".

My old blade bent and I threw it away, thinking I had some replacements, but they are all too short.

So... I need some recommendations for where to buy a couple new blades, and how to figure out what size to buy? I guess I could just run the tape around and measure, but I figure you guys probably already know this answer... :)
Thanks for the help[/QUO

Your blade will be 105" I have the same saw. I do a lot of resawing with mine. I use blade from highland hardware . The woodslicer is for resawing if you are doing that. Also do you do blade drift ?? If you don't what that is post back and i will explain good luck

Dean Ousterhout
12-08-2010, 7:16 PM
thanks for the help.

Dan, it is a Rockwell Model 14 and not Delta. The serial plate has 25-203.

Van, I really like your "Lets talk bandsaw" thread... it is great. I looked at my saw and the tensioner looks to have lots of room, as in several inches to get smaller.

Del, I haven't used the saw much, although I have had it for quite a while. What is blade drift? as in for resawing? as in the thickness of the cut gets bigger or smaller? I haven't really tried any resawing... although I really want to :)

del schisler
12-08-2010, 7:22 PM
thanks for the help.

Dan, it is a Rockwell Model 14 and not Delta. The serial plate has 25-203.

Van, I really like your "Lets talk bandsaw" thread... it is great. I looked at my saw and the tensioner looks to have lots of room, as in several inches to get smaller.

Del, I haven't used the saw much, although I have had it for quite a while. What is blade drift? as in for resawing? as in the thickness of the cut gets bigger or smaller? I haven't really tried any resawing... although I really want to :)

It is still 105" blade . Here watch this video on blade drift it will explane better than typing the info .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OY3oKtssZk

Dean Ousterhout
12-08-2010, 7:28 PM
Hah.... very cool.... thanks for the tip Del...

Greg Peterson
11-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Oops, wrong post.