PDA

View Full Version : Boxelder Platter / Bowl and question

Alan Tolchinsky
12-08-2010, 5:07 PM
This is an 11.5" piece that I just finished today. I had a hard time with the rim area due to soft wood so it came out differently than designed but I'm happy with it. Question is what kind of finish would you use to keep the wood light and not darken over time? My usual finish is wipe on poly but this will darken. Any ideas welcome. Thanks!

Mark Hubl
12-08-2010, 5:24 PM
Those look very nice. I love box elder. I would use spray lacquer. It is the clearest thing that I have found and adds the least darkness to the piece. I don't know that it holds up the best if these are to be utility pieces.

Any oil will probably darken and change the color more than you may like on these. Especially if you have some punky areas.

Sean Hughto
12-08-2010, 5:31 PM
The bench the bowls are sitting on in this picture is boxelder and well over a year old. I finished it with super blond shellac, and it's stayed pretty light.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1412/5108533715_f027ffdf8b_z.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2010, 5:47 PM
Really a nice looking platter Alan. I would finish it with either super blonde shellac or rattle can lacquer. I am going to try a piece with some water based poly that I just finished a maple top with. It didn't change the color of the maple at all. This is a water based poly used for floors.

John Keeton
12-08-2010, 6:22 PM
Bernie's idea of water based poly is probably a good one, though sometimes it will raise the grain. If you wet sand first, that would be a good option. Shellac is always a good choice, but not alcohol resistant so if it is going to be exposed to the kitchen, and possibly alcohol you may want to do something else.

charlie knighton
12-08-2010, 6:26 PM
very nice platter, if you use a water based finished it will keep the white white and the red red, bigest thing is the amount of sunlight it recieves, the red will fade depending on how much sunlight

Bill Bolen
12-08-2010, 7:11 PM
I used the min wax water base poly (blue can) on a root ball hf that I wanted to remain white. Did the trick for me. Still white a year later...Bill...

Donny Lawson
12-08-2010, 7:18 PM
Who carries the "super blond shellac"?

Jim Burr
12-08-2010, 8:06 PM
Great piece even if it does darken:cool::D

Greg Bender
12-08-2010, 9:47 PM
Alan,
glad you asked cause I'm getting ready to turn several gorgeous pieces of box elder that I got off fleabay,and I've had the same lousy results with poly and AO in the past.

Does anybody make a premixed super blond shellac so to avoid having to mix flakes each time I need some.

Bernie,
how many coats of the shellac do you usually apply? Can't you come back with the rattle can right over the top of the shellac?

Thanx,Greg

Alan Tolchinsky
12-08-2010, 9:48 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll finish it and post a final pic.

David E Keller
12-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Who carries the "super blond shellac"?

I order mine from shellac.net... They've got quite a selection.

Richard Madden
12-08-2010, 11:08 PM
I can't offer anything that hasn't already been mentioned for the finish, but I did want to say, nice turning on a beautiful piece of wood.

Joe Little
12-09-2010, 5:25 AM
I have had good luck with Deft.

Dale Bright
12-09-2010, 6:17 AM
I have heard that Velvit Aqua Shield is great for preserving the natural colors in Box Elder and Holly. I have no personal experience with it but I plan to try it as several very experienced turners have told me it is a great finish. Barbara Gill, a woodturner from Virginia is a dealer.

Dale

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2010, 7:42 AM
Very nice looking platter! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

I have used a water-based poly before with good results. Only thing I didn't like was sanding down the raised grain. Oh, and the can rusted before I could use the product again! Never had that happen before!

Thomas Bennett
12-09-2010, 9:00 AM
That is a beautiful platter, Alan, and a stunning peice of wood. If it is not too late, you might try to bleach it. Bleaching makes the red "redder" and the white "whiter" It is really easy to do. Here's a photo of the appropriate product. I found it at the local paint store but I have seen it at Woodcraft or other hardware store.
Here's a thread where I explain the process.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1518895&page=2

David Reed
12-09-2010, 9:26 AM
Very nice piece of wood and you did a great job with the form here. Re an applied finish, Deft (nitrocellulose) is nice as it is is tough, clear and looks great once applied and sanded out but is not very moisture resistant. Water based poly is quite water resistant, crystal clear but plastic looking if built up. Shellac looks great but, as previously mentioned, not alcohol resistant.
Great piece

Alan Tolchinsky
12-09-2010, 5:31 PM
Very interesting ideas and I am interested in the bleaching technique. I picked up a can of sanding sealer lacquer and gloss spray lacquer and I'll give that a try. Now to see how long I can hold my breath. :) Thanks again for all the great suggestions. Alan