PDA

View Full Version : New Here

Ron Granitz
12-08-2010, 4:35 PM
Howdy, just joined the forum. I run the Engraving department for our sign shop here in Virginia. We currently have a ULS Laser and a New Hermes XP7000 Router. I've been trying for the last few years to get the powers that be to get the cylindrical attachment for the router. Finally they say yes and we start the process to get the attachment.

After many promises of delivery dates come and go, and the fact we were taking on Jefferson Cup jobs in mean time, the part finally arrives 3 1/2 weeks late and to everyones surprise, our Rep ordered the wrong part (which had to be made in France 4 weeks ago). He ordered for a IS7000, not a XP7000. I just found out that it'll take 6 weeks to get a new one made and will cost an additional $1400!!

My boss told me to tell them something I politely translated into, "please cancel my order". We're now back to looking at getting a stand alone machine and keep the router table for now or get rid of the New Hermes all together and get a new router/cnc machine with cylindrical attachement.

We have been looking at Vision, but I'm wanting to see what everyone recommends to use or at least stay away from.

Thanks

Ron

Larry Bratton
12-08-2010, 6:08 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ron!
Sorry to hear about your ULS problem. Sounds like the problem lies with your rep.
I once owned a Vision machine and it was a good machine and the service was ok. If I were buying a mechanical machine I would definitely look at them again. They also sell lasers but I don't know anyone here that owns one, so I can't comment about that. Epilog has been great for me, however I sold my rotary attachment because I just didn't use it. Good luck and again Welcome.

Ross Moshinsky
12-08-2010, 6:24 PM
If you have the money, go buy a real router. Go on the CNC section of this board and visit CNC Zone for help picking one out. CAMaster CNC is a sponsor of this site so you will probably hear quite a few people suggesting to use them. You'll be able to do so much more with a real router vs the XP7000 which really can only engrave and cut thin soft material.

As for New Hermes, their machines are good. Software has a lot of useful features but is full of bugs. The reps and customer service is one of the worst.

Scott Shepherd
12-08-2010, 7:00 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ron!
Sorry to hear about your ULS problem. Sounds like the problem lies with your rep.

It wasn't a ULS part, or a ULS rep, it was a problem on the Hermes side of things, which is located in Europe.

Vision has a good reputation, Roland also makes a lot of special equipment made to do what you're looking to do.

Larry Bratton
12-09-2010, 11:20 AM
It wasn't a ULS part, or a ULS rep, it was a problem on the Hermes side of things, which is located in Europe.

Vision has a good reputation, Roland also makes a lot of special equipment made to do what you're looking to do.
Opps sorry, my eyes failed me AGAIN!

Ron Granitz
12-09-2010, 1:36 PM
Thanks. Ya, the ULS is great, great service, rep, tech, product, etc. we will always go with ULS, we use ours about 7 hours a day.

As for New Hermes, we will never ever buy their products again. The machine is solid but the Support and reps are horrible. Just the fact that they don't have a parts catalog makes it tough to get parts. I couldn't convey one time the "collet" in the spindle had broken at the the threads. I ended up taking a picture of the part broken, sent it to New Hermes to get a new one over nighted. Not only did they send me the wrong thing but it was so wrong it would have been like ordering a bumper and getting send a seat belt. I mean if they can't replace a part using a photo, what does that say about them?

The funny thing is that I just got a call from New Hermes asking if I was pleased with my part, service and experience. HA!