PDA

View Full Version : Weird Weather

Belinda Barfield
12-08-2010, 4:01 PM
There is a chance of snow flurries this evening and again on Thursday. Monday night low predicted to be 12. Tonight's low 25. We have had lows consistently in the 20s. This is extremely strange weather for our area. How are things in your area?

Gary Max
12-08-2010, 4:25 PM
It was a toasty 7 degress here on the Tn / Ky line this morning. That's real temp not wind chill.

Chris Damm
12-08-2010, 4:34 PM
20° 8" of snow on the ground, blizzard conditions coming on Saturday. Yep, everything is normal here!

Brian Kent
12-08-2010, 4:45 PM
I thought the storm passed when the relatives went home after Thanksgiving.

Rick Prosser
12-08-2010, 5:04 PM
It is cold...brrrrr
Got down to 11 last night. As long as there is no precipitation, I won't complain - well, not too much.:p

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2010, 5:09 PM
Move to the mountains of Idaho....it's in the 50's here and I was in short sleeves bring the trash cans back to the carport.

Gary Hodgin
12-08-2010, 5:29 PM
In Nashville, Tn, teens last couple of nights and expected tonight. Over the last few days, the highs have been in 30s. It's suppose to warm up on Friday. This was our first cold snap after a hot summer and fall.

David G Baker
12-08-2010, 5:37 PM
It is around 5:30 PM here in Mid-Michigan and the temp is 17 degrees with a low of 13 overnight. 13 degrees is the lowest so far this season in my area. I had no idea that it ever got below the 20's in the South since the Ice Age.

Roger Newby
12-08-2010, 5:54 PM
In the 30's today. Supposed to be around 50 tomorrow and Friday then back to normal this weekend, single digit lows and highs in the 20's. Seems we always have wide swings in temperatures anymore.

Jim Koepke
12-08-2010, 6:42 PM
Mostly rain with a few flurries of sunshine.

Temps at about 50ºF. Nice mist in the trees this morning.

jtk

Charlie Reals
12-08-2010, 6:55 PM
45 and raining, melting the snow nicely.:)

Belinda Barfield
12-08-2010, 6:55 PM
Snow flurries will be here in about an hour and a half. Yippeee!!!

Mike Cruz
12-08-2010, 7:49 PM
Here in MD, we've been getting January weather in the beginning of December! We haven't gone above freezing for that last three days at my house. Wind chills have been in the low teens at night, and around 19-20 during the day.

ray hampton
12-08-2010, 8:13 PM
let it snow , my brown grass need the water

Glenn Vaughn
12-08-2010, 8:15 PM
Here in Colorado the low today was 24 and the high 66. Where I live is called the "Banana Belt" because of the milder weather.

Bryan Morgan
12-08-2010, 8:24 PM
70-80 and sunny during the day. Mid to low 40's at night. Had thunderstorms with lots of lightning a few nights ago. Sunny the next day... that was weird.

Connie Gill
12-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Move to the mountains of Idaho....it's in the 50's here and I was in short sleeves bring the trash cans back to the carport.

Ah Ken, move to the high desert of Idaho - we had 60 degrees at the house yesterday, 18 miles north in town on the Snake it was 31 degrees and foggy...love Idaho!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-09-2010, 1:28 AM
Connie,

I kinda fibbed. If you have ever been to Lewiston you know we are at the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake Rivers in the bottom of the junction of two canyons. Thus.......snow in the mountains east and west of us and atop the Palouse and Camas Prairies north and south of us.

But here in the Banana Belt....it was nice.

Barry Nelson
12-09-2010, 2:19 AM
Extreme weather over here in Australia particularly in my home state New South Wales been raining for what seems weeks, floods everywhere,towns marooned,highways blocked and just to add to it all Oprah is over here!
Merry Christmas to all Creekers from down under.:)

Jerome Stanek
12-09-2010, 7:08 AM
Extreme weather over here in Australia particularly in my home state New South Wales been raining for what seems weeks, floods everywhere,towns marooned,highways blocked and just to add to it all Oprah is over here!
Merry Christmas to all Creekers from down under.:)

Can you take her out on a field trip and leave her there?

bob svoboda
12-09-2010, 9:49 AM
I was about to call you on that Ken. I lived in Lewiston for a couple of years. Definitely the Banana belt. I remember many times looking at the top of the hill toward Pullman and seeing snow when we were at 40+ degrees. BTW, here in Hoquiam it has been raining so hard frogs are falling from the sky! :D

Connie,

I kinda fibbed. If you have ever been to Lewiston you know we are at the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake Rivers in the bottom of the junction of two canyons. Thus.......snow in the mountains east and west of us and atop the Palouse and Camas Prairies north and south of us.

But here in the Banana Belt....it was nice.

Charlie Reals
12-09-2010, 9:59 AM
Ya know, I've lived in a couple of your Banana belts:D:D that doesn't mean they grow outdoor bananas there.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Charlie,

Lewiston's main street is at an elevation of around 750' above sea level. Where I live is about 1400' above sea level. The prairies to the north are at around 3,000' above sea level.

That 2300 feet difference in elevations makes a tremendous difference in whether you get snow or cold rain.

There are a lot of winters we don't get snow in the valley. It is referred to in the region as "The Banana Belt" and area farmers and loggers retire to Lewiston for it's milder climate. We have a lot of golfers from the Spokane area that come to Lewiston in the winter to play golf on one of our 5 golf courses.

David G Baker
12-09-2010, 11:52 AM
3 degrees above at 7:00 AM this morning in Mid-Michigan.

Gerold Griffin
12-09-2010, 12:23 PM
We are about 30 miles from the coast and this morning at 5 it was about 17 outside. The temp always is a little cooler here than the surrounding area though, good in the summer, but....

Dave Ogren
12-09-2010, 12:32 PM
The day before yesterday we broke the record of the lowest high for that day in history. The low 20's. And this is the south.

Dave

Belinda Barfield
12-09-2010, 1:12 PM
The day before yesterday we broke the record of the lowest high for that day in history. The low 20's. And this is the south.

Dave

Dave, I'm thinking while we weren't looking someone moved the south a little bit more north! No flurries yesterday by the way. Some to the west of us but nothing here on the coast.

Charlie Reals
12-09-2010, 1:23 PM
Charlie,

Lewiston's main street is at an elevation of around 750' above sea level. Where I live is about 1400' above sea level. The prairies to the north are at around 3,000' above sea level.

That 2300 feet difference in elevations makes a tremendous difference in whether you get snow or cold rain.

There are a lot of winters we don't get snow in the valley. It is referred to in the region as "The Banana Belt" and area farmers and loggers retire to Lewiston for it's milder climate. We have a lot of golfers from the Spokane area that come to Lewiston in the winter to play golf on one of our 5 golf courses.

. Quite a few folks from here moved up that way years ago. It's no different here, come up hw4 and there is a distinct temp change at 3000ft. Snowline is normally above 3500. They dang sure aint playing golf on the course across the road from me.:D
The B belts I was referring to were east of the Rockies. All the term meant there was the snow piled up instead of blowing off. If it was 15 along the front face of the black hills it was 10 below in New Underwood.

Rod Sheridan
12-09-2010, 1:43 PM
The first three days of this week I was in the beautiful Shenandoah valley in Virginia.

No snow, quite the difference from home in Canada this week.......Rod.

Art Mulder
12-09-2010, 1:44 PM
This is extremely strange weather for our area. How are things in your area?

Try over 3 feet of snow on my city since Sunday night.
The University was shut for 3 days. The city bus service shut down.
Canada Post stopped delivering mail.
(Even Wal-Mart reportedly closed early :p)

That is more snow than we got during ALL of last winter.

The average is 2 meters/6ft over the entire winter -- and with our freeze/thaw cycles here, most of that melts and does not stick around. Get the igloo image out of your head!

This is all lake-effect snow off of Lake Huron. It was an incredibly narrow band of storm. Cities 30 minutes drive east of us had nothing.

Weird doesn't begin to cover it, Belinda!

Chris Padilla
12-09-2010, 4:16 PM
It has been rather cold here since Thanksgiving but the last couple of days it has warmed up to more normal temps.

I fear that due to the coolish summer we had here in the SF Bay Area, that the winter might be colder than usual and so far, that seems to be true.

I am attempting to DRIVE my family from here to Denver for Christmas starting sometime from the 18th of December on. Mother Nature will control when we leave...if at all. I have a bad feeling...10 day outlook has rain here...which means snow in the Sierras and a non-starter for us. We shall see...pray for dry roads for us! We need 1.5 days of it!! :)

Charlie Reals
12-09-2010, 4:30 PM
It has been rather cold here since Thanksgiving but the last couple of days it has warmed up to more normal temps.

I fear that due to the coolish summer we had here in the SF Bay Area, that the winter might be colder than usual and so far, that seems to be true.
I am attempting to DRIVE my family from here to Denver for Christmas starting sometime from the 18th of December on. Mother Nature will control when we leave...if at all. I have a bad feeling...10 day outlook has rain here...which means snow in the Sierras and a non-starter for us. We shall see...pray for dry roads for us! We need 1.5 days of it!! Chris, according to the almanac (which has been very close this year) you might have a shot on the 19-20 but it is really iffy from the 18th -28
Charlie

Mike Cruz
12-10-2010, 10:21 AM
You wanna know what it is like right now? IT'S SNOWING!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary Redden
12-10-2010, 2:26 PM
It is 73 here today and supposed to get to the low 80's this weekend. Supposed to have another front on Saturday night but that just means it will be in the 60's.

Gary

Brian Elfert
12-10-2010, 4:55 PM
Weather is fairly typical for the time of the year here. Snow is a bit ahead of normal. We are supposed to get 12" to 16" of snow tomorrow.

Of course, based on past storm forecasts we'll either get 2" of snow or 24" of snow. Snow forecasting is almost never correct. I swear some forecasters couldn't look out the window and be right on the current weather.

Chris Padilla
12-10-2010, 5:08 PM
Chris, according to the almanac (which has been very close this year) you might have a shot on the 19-20 but it is really iffy from the 18th -28
Charlie

The 20th is the originally scheduled date, Charlie, but we could leave on the 18th or 19th, too. :)

Karl Brogger
12-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Weather is fairly typical for the time of the year here. Snow is a bit ahead of normal. We are supposed to get 12" to 16" of snow tomorrow.

Of course, based on past storm forecasts we'll either get 2" of snow or 24" of snow. Snow forecasting is almost never correct. I swear some forecasters couldn't look out the window and be right on the current weather.

I think for once they were actually pretty accurate. Well.... maybe not accurate, but closer than normal.

This is actually the most "normal" weather I've seen in a long time. This is more like how I remember winter as a kiddo.

Dave Ogren
12-12-2010, 10:34 AM
4 inches of snow this morning and more coming. Last year was the coldest on record for Asheville, this year seems like it is going down the same path. The way the heating bills are starting to come in I am wondering about where is the "Global Warming" ???

Dave

David G Baker
12-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Have around 12 inches of snow on the ground and it is still snowing. The temp out was in the 30's overnight so the snow is very wet and heavy. So far I have lost 6 trees due to the heavy wet snow. Haven't checked all of the property due to the danger of falling trees. The temp has dropped to 23 and is supposed to drop into the low single digits overnight.

Belinda Barfield
12-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Down to 20 tonight and high of 39 tomorrow. This is what we occasionally see in January and February, not at all typical of December. My toes are going to be chilly!

Mike Cruz
12-12-2010, 5:27 PM
A woman with cold toes... :eek: Stay away! Stay very far away! :D

Bryan Morgan
12-12-2010, 9:19 PM
It was about 90 today... bleh... Bring on some of that cold weather!

Rick Moyer
12-12-2010, 9:28 PM
Key West even has wind chill advisories for tomorrow night!

Craig D Peltier
12-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Well its like Hawaii here or so thye say its called the pineapple express from hawaii. Major rain an river flooding. very warm though 55 degrees. Coldest we have had this year was 11 so far and a white Turkey Day.

Mike Cruz
12-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Rick, does that mean their wind chill will go below 50? :D

Shawn Pixley
12-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Eighty and sunny with good surf

Belinda Barfield
12-13-2010, 6:33 AM
A woman with cold toes... :eek: Stay away! Stay very far away! :D

I always wear socks, Mike. I even change them once or twice in winter.:p

Rich Engelhardt
12-13-2010, 7:56 AM
We- are - getting - DRILLED!!!
Not really so weird for N.E Ohio though this time of year.

8+ inch last night w/another 8" forecast today and 4 to 8"'s again tomorrow.

What's probably going to happen is that we'll get a warm up come late next week and have a bleak rainy Christmas. :(

Brian Tymchak
12-13-2010, 11:41 AM
It's pretty much January weather in December here. Being a firm believer in 5 to 6-week weather patterns, when this happens, I expect January to be warmer than usual, which typically means ice and mud instead of snow and frozen ground. Oh boy. looking forward to that...

Eddie Watkins
12-13-2010, 12:22 PM
It was low 20's last night with high around 50 in OKC today. It has been dry but not unusually cold. This is about as cold as it has been this winter. I may have to turn on the sprinklers to make sure any serious cold spells don't damage my yard and shrubs.

Tim Morton
12-14-2010, 5:59 AM
Last night in Vermont it was 50 degrees and raining, this morning i am waking up to 10 degrees and about 5" of fresh powder...so IOW...pretty typical vermont weather.

Mike Cruz
12-14-2010, 8:57 AM
This morning it was 16 degrees with a wind chill of 0. Brrrrrrrrrrrr

Belinda Barfield
12-14-2010, 9:22 AM
25 with a wind chill between 7 and 15. We're having a Blue Light Special on cold weather here in Georgia. Come on down and take some back home with you.

This is weather abuse . . . weather abuse I say!

Actually, the weather is doing a number on our tourism industry. A good friend of mine works in sales for one of the local trolley tour companies. Her sales commission Saturday was 62 cents!

Charlie Reals
12-14-2010, 9:42 AM
Tis a balmy 39 with a soft rain continuing to melt the snow. Snow level is just up the road a piece at 6000 or so. Wonderful for the ski resorts. Tourism couldn't be better.Another storm is due Friday with lower snow levels. Setting up to be a great water year.

Mike Cruz
12-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Sorry, Belinda, I hear the toes are cold down there. I'm stayin' here. ;) Got the wood stove cranked. I've able to keep the house 74 degrees upstairs, and probably about 80 downstairs (where the wood stove is). I'm toasty...as are my toes...and the rest of me...and I don't want the "cold toes surprise"! I work hard to keep it warm in the house so my wife's toes stay warm...it is to my benefit. ;)

David G Baker
12-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Checked the temp outside last night prior to crashing and it was minus 1 degree. Today it is almost 16 degrees and the Sun is shinning at 11:16 AM.

Rick Moyer
12-14-2010, 3:27 PM
I heard someone on the Weather Channel say yesterday that there were areas of Maine that were warmer than areas of Florida! I hope things get straightened out, I'm tired of late January weather in early December.