PDA

View Full Version : Which LV skew block?

Steve Stack
12-08-2010, 3:49 PM
OK, just been reading for a while and now it's time for another question, I have the RH LV skew rabbet and am going to buy their skew block for one of my xmas gifts. Should I get the RH or LH version. My logic tells me to get the LH so I will be able to handle changes in grain but my gut tells me I am right handed and should go with RH to be comfortable. I am more of a hybrid now but am leaning toward more hand tools so at present just want to expand my joinery plane options. What think yee?
Thanks, Steve

Chris Griggs
12-08-2010, 4:00 PM
Okay I don't have either so feel free to ignore my thoughts. However, I'm right handed and have been thinking that I would get a left if I get one. Here's why.

In addition to what you already said,many of the tasks you would use it for (e.g. timming tenon cheeks) would be one handed. For one handed tasks the LH version seems more suited for use in the right hand since the opening is on the left side. For example if your are trimming a cheek on a bench hook you would want this so that the open side would ride up against the shoulder

I actually think the right handed skew rabbet and the left hand skew block would be a perfect pair for a right handed person. The skew rabbet would handle most of your heavy rabbeting, and the skew block would handle many trimming tuning tasks, while also giving you the option of not having to plane against the grain with the other.

Steve Stack
12-08-2010, 4:11 PM
Chris, yeah I thought of that too but didn't know how to express it as such.
thanks, Steve

Jim Koepke
12-08-2010, 4:17 PM
Does the handedness of the plane actually indicate it is for a lefty or a righty as opposed to what side of the plane has the leading edge of the skew?

jtk

Steve Stack
12-08-2010, 4:37 PM
Jim, interesting question, I'm not sure as far as the block plane is concerned. The skew rabbet however is certainly designed for a right handed user. Which is what brought up my question in my mind, the block plane seems less R or L hand oriented so it may not matter. Hoping Mr. Rob may add some insight at some point(and say free shipping before Xmas) to make my day.
Thanks, Steve

Zach England
12-08-2010, 5:05 PM
I have both and think they are both equally usable with my right hand.

Tri Hoang
12-08-2010, 5:34 PM
It's depend on how you use them. I'd not bother with having a left hand skew rabbet just to prevent tear out. I use the skew blocks often for trimming end grains and found uses for both L&R planes.

I suppose you could order a pair and keep one that you like the most. You might find that you'd keep both.