PDA

View Full Version : Roy Underhill and sawing

steven c newman
12-08-2010, 2:46 PM
I watch one of Roy's shows a week or so ago. He had a guest on the show. They show various ways to handsaw wood PRECISELY. An "over-hand" rip cut? Two hands on the saw handle? Use a wide chisel to start a saw cut? Many "tips" ( no pun here) about sawing. Even some about "Saw-bench" work, and how to use one. Worth the watching?:confused:

Steve Stack
12-08-2010, 3:24 PM
Yeah, I liked that one too! Was curious how the Schwarz would come across with St. Roy and certainly wasn't disappointed, very informative and I DVR'd it so I can practice what they preached.
Enjoyed it, Steve

Billy McCarthy
12-08-2010, 11:51 PM
I've already watched it twice. It was really fun to watch Roy play dumb and great to see Chris instruct him in some of the things I needed to know.

Andrae Covington
12-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Most of what he said about the three classes of sawing comes from The Essential Woodworker by Robert Wearing. Lost Art Press reprinted it this year with some updates from the author.

Bob Glenn
12-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Watching Roy play dumb demonstrating how not to saw wood had me laughing out loud. The wife came into the room to see what was so funny. :D

mike holden
12-10-2010, 2:30 PM
"Watching Roy play dumb demonstrating how not to saw wood had me laughing out loud."
Me Too!
I told my wife he was doing his best Tim Conway impression!
Mike

john brenton
12-10-2010, 2:50 PM
I looked for the video on youtube and came across the video of him throwing chicken into the "SawStop". What God awful noise. It reminded me of why I'm doing things the hard way. I hate the sound of power tools.

I watch one of Roy's shows a week or so ago. He had a guest on the show. They show various ways to handsaw wood PRECISELY. An "over-hand" rip cut? Two hands on the saw handle? Use a wide chisel to start a saw cut? Many "tips" ( no pun here) about sawing. Even some about "Saw-bench" work, and how to use one. Worth the watching?:confused:

steven c newman
12-10-2010, 4:11 PM
One can go to pbs.org and find earlier seasons to wtach, but for some reason... none of this seasons ( 30th!) shows are there. Although there is a very good one about drilling. Called a "Boring show", it even shows a "belly" drill that will drill inlays. It uses a metal "pattern" that you clamp to the work piece. The "drill bit" looks like a tuning fork, and fits inside the pattern. A hand-held bow powers the drill, and the small cutters on the ends of the "fork" do the cutting. He used that set-up to make inlays for the brass inserts of a small try square.:eek:

george wilson
12-10-2010, 4:16 PM
The spring drills were commonly used to rout out shapes like shield shapes to inlet escutcheons into boxes. They work quite well,as long as the shapes are such that the springing cutters can reach all the borders of the shapes.

The problem is,you have to have the pieces that go INTO the shape you have routed,and they need to all be perfectly the same. Of course,you could make them individually,but for fast production,having punched out inlays helps a lot,like if you were manufacturing those squares with diamond brass inlays.