PDA

View Full Version : Infeed and Outfeed Table Adjustment for DW735

Steve H Graham
12-08-2010, 2:10 PM
Any tips for using factory infeed and outfeed tables for a DeWalt DW735 planer?

I just installed my new tables, and I want to reduce snipe as much as I can. I have read that better results are possible when the tables are shimmed or propped up so they're higher at the ends than toward the planer.

The tables were both bent; the tabs that attach them to the planer are the only fragile parts, and I guess the Postal Service knows just how to drop the boxes. I called Woodcraft, and they said new ones were on the way, and I was welcome to use the bent ones until they arrived. I put them in a vise and fixed the tabs to where they were usable.

Erik France
12-08-2010, 2:15 PM
I'll use a long straightedge across a couple pennies on the main table and adjust the outside extension table edges up to it. My 4' level works well for this purpose.

Steve H Graham
12-08-2010, 2:53 PM
That's pretty easy. I assume you mean two pennies on different sides of the table, with a total height of one penny. Not two stacks two pennies high.

I'm fiddling around, just eyeballing it, and I got a total snipe figure (both sides combined) of about 0.007", and I didn't start with a perfect board, because I'm lazy. That's already fairly good.

I wonder if the height at the inner edges matters.

Erik France
12-08-2010, 3:09 PM
Yea, just one penny thickness. I found the slight camber helps. I had them absolutely flat when I first got them. I noticed a little less snipe with the camber.

The height at the inner edge of the tables does matter. They should be about flush with the main table. I'll check it with a 12" long board that has sharp, square corners to make sure it moves smoothly from table to table, backwards and forwards.

A quick application of paste wax every once in a while is a good idea too.

Caleb Larru
12-08-2010, 3:20 PM
Any tips for using factory infeed and outfeed tables for a DeWalt DW735 planer?

I just installed my new tables, and I want to reduce snipe as much as I can. I have read that better results are possible when the tables are shimmed or propped up so they're higher at the ends than toward the planer.

The tables were both bent; the tabs that attach them to the planer are the only fragile parts, and I guess the Postal Service knows just how to drop the boxes. I called Woodcraft, and they said new ones were on the way, and I was welcome to use the bent ones until they arrived. I put them in a vise and fixed the tabs to where they were usable.

I followed this and it worked well when I set up my 735.

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/planer_setup.pdf

Steve H Graham
12-11-2010, 9:02 PM
Great link.

The new tables arrived today. It's like Woodcraft is waiting in the bushes for me to place an order, so they can run out and throw it on the porch.