PDA

View Full Version : backsaw type question

john davey
12-08-2010, 1:08 PM
Can someone explain to me or point me to a link that explains all of the different saw types. and their uses. basically what are the differences between back/tenon/sash/dovetail/??? Also a link to all saw types would be great. Searching here brings up a ton of stuff in other forum outside of neanderthal heaven. Thanks, john

Chris Griggs
12-08-2010, 1:19 PM
Here's an article that Chris Schwarz wrote called "Understanding Western BackSaws.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/Understanding_Western_Backsaws/

Pedro Reyes
12-08-2010, 3:23 PM
As far as I know, al saws with a spine are back saws. From there on out, it is a matter of how they are used, which for the most part, directly relates to their size. Which goes as follows (smaller to larger)

Dovetail
Carcase
Sash
Tenon
Miter box (I guess)

I am not familiar with sash saws and I don't own a Miter backsaw, but generally Dovetail and Tenon are rip saws and Carcase is a crosscut saw (that's what mine are anyway). I assume that a miter box saw is x-cut.

To make things worse you could get (or re-shape) any saw into any cut geometry. There is also no hard rule that says you can't cut a small tenon with a dovetail saw or a big dovetail with a Tenon saw.

The way I've done it is: dovetails with the dovetail saw, except for the ends which are a cross cut (used carcase). For Tenons I used the tenon saw for the cheek cuts, and the carcase for the shoulder cuts.

just my $0.02

/p

john davey
12-08-2010, 4:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I remember that Pop woodworking article but couldn't put my fingers on it in a search earlier today.

I am trying to get myself situated as I am moving soon and will be loosing shop space. Looks like the lathe and band saw will be my only tools left that we cant talk about here :).

Given that I am working my way through planes and saws in preparation for this. I am about to build a bench that would be a combination of Harry Strasi'ls coffin makers bench and Bob's bench from the logancabinetshop site. I currently have the new veritas carcass saw set and their dovetail saw. I also have a Diston 7 crosscut hand saw that was my grandfathers and needs some work. Currently I am progressing in practice with the carcass saws and am getting better :). Obviously practice makes perfect here. These saws are a little small though so I was thinking I might look for a tenon saw set to rip and maybe a panel saw or half back saw to do larger crosscuts. My Grandfathers no7 is a project that currently can only be used to crosscut 2x4's. It is slightly bent and needs a good sharpening. I am not really looking to get a ton of saws and become a saw junkie (which I know is a habit some of you have gotten). I am just loooking for a set of saws for crosscutting and joinery tasks. I believe the band saw/jointer plane will handle rip/cleanup so A rip saw is not likely needed.

Thanks again, John...

Tony Joyce
12-08-2010, 5:39 PM
Can someone explain to me or point me to a link that explains all of the different saw types. and their uses. basically what are the differences between back/tenon/sash/dovetail/??? Also a link to all saw types would be great. Searching here brings up a ton of stuff in other forum outside of neanderthal heaven. Thanks, john

Try this, it's my go to for saw info. Very good explanation of the different types.
http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/faq/31-general/43-sawselection.html