PDA

View Full Version : Swedish French Workbench

Jared McMahon
12-08-2010, 1:29 AM
I've finally begun my workbench in earnest. It will be a fairly pure Roubo/French workbench in its shape, rough dimensions and simplicity. There are a number of facets of woodworking that interest me and I want to keep my set-up flexible until/unless I find something I want to focus on that requires a particular working style.

The top will be roughly 84 x 24 x 3-1/2, the legs 4 x 4, and the final height around 34. I'm leaving generous overhangs on each end. The left will have enough room for an Emmert clone, the right enough for the LV quick-release tail vise. If someone today gave me a coupon for any two vises, these would probably be my choices, but those dimensions will allow me a lot of options. In the meantime, I intend to make a twin-screw press vise like the one Schwarz made a little while back based on Moxon and Felibien. That will be supplemented by going through the bench hardware page of the LV catalog and basically saying "One of each, please."

Discoveries thus far:
- wood can be very heavy
- handplaning can be fun
- hardwood snaps the heads off of screws
- I love my Grizzly neaderbuddy

As for the wood, I'm using 1" thick (technically 1-1/8") laminated beech counter tops. Three of those are glued up for the top, two others have been ripped and are being glued up for legs and stretchers. My sawmill of choice is Ikea. I'm leaving one of the logos exposed on the underside of the top to remind me of my bench's Swedish heritage.

Initial pictures attached. The first is the glue-up of the first two bench top layers, the second is breaking down the full-length ripped pieces into leg components, and the third is its "birth mark".

Jared McMahon

Floyd Mah
12-08-2010, 2:15 AM
Ikea is a good place to get bits of plastic laminated particle board for quick jigs. Having said that, the Swedish Chef is more Scandinavian than the products from Ikea, which I notice mostly have origins in China.

http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/swedish_chef.jpg

Jeffrey L Johnson
12-08-2010, 7:12 AM
Cool. With those pre-made top parts, at least you probably don't have to plane the top.

(obscure history-geek comment: Something Swedish being made French: a Reverse-Bernadotte)

David Weaver
12-08-2010, 9:21 AM
How much does ikea charge for those?

Jon Toebbe
12-08-2010, 9:35 AM
How much does ikea charge for those?
Here's (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10146525) a link to their online catalog. Wow, pretty cheap at $59 for a 96" length. It looks like it comes unfinished, too. The only problem I see with this approach is grain alignment -- planing it flat may be a real bear, since I'm guessing they didn't pay much attention to that during manufacture. It saves a lot of work during construction, though... a gallon of glue and a box of drywall screws and you're good to go.

David Weaver
12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Since it's birch (and not pine) a high angle plane would take care of it.

Planing it on the diagonal would probably be fine, too.

Besides, a little tearout in a bench isn't a huge deal.

That is really cheap for what it is.

Kevin Grady
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
These are a possible option. I was looking at using two different GLULAM beams for a split top Roubo, but these are a possibility. Time for a road trip to IKEA.

Jared McMahon
12-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Here's (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10146525) a link to their online catalog. Wow, pretty cheap at $59 for a 96" length. It looks like it comes unfinished, too. The only problem I see with this approach is grain alignment -- planing it flat may be a real bear, since I'm guessing they didn't pay much attention to that during manufacture. It saves a lot of work during construction, though... a gallon of glue and a box of drywall screws and you're good to go.

One thing to note, each piece has a small chamfer around the top and bottom edges. But since they're a bit larger than 96x24, that can be taken off without short-changing the dimensions. I rough-sized the pieces with my cordless circular saw, laminated them, and am truing them up mostly using a jack plane.