Don Alexander
12-08-2010, 12:26 AM
not your typical bowl

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=508&pictureid=4598

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=508&pictureid=4600

as always comments/critiques welcomed and appreciated

David Reed
12-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Very interesting combination design and well executed. This and the double rim posted recently by David bring up a whole new genre of turning I have not previously envisioned

John Keeton
12-08-2010, 7:04 AM
Don, really a very interesting piece! Some beautiful wood. For me, since the top bowl feature is larger than one might see on this type of piece, I wonder what it might look like if the lower bowl replicated the outside form of the upper dip container and be proportionately just a bit larger.

Don Alexander
12-08-2010, 7:53 AM
i tried the lumber stretcher routine but i just couldn't get the blank to cooperate :D

seriously though point is well taken , John , given the size of the bottom blank i probably should have made the top piece a bit smaller/thinner or something like that

i'm practicing by turning all the good wood hehe then i'm running the practice past all the very talented people here and learning alot along the way

my design method is probably somewhat different than most in that i tend to pay more attention to what the grain of the wood is doing to determine how i want to shape the piece and don't worry as much about the form per se
works out better sometimes not so well other times

Baxter Smith
12-08-2010, 8:52 AM
.... i tend to pay more attention to what the grain of the wood is doing to determine how i want to shape the piece and don't worry as much about the form per se
works out better sometimes not so well other times
Pretty piece though the proportions as John mentioned seem a little off. I really like the shape of your dip portion. More of a plate on the bottom might make the chips easier to reach as well.
As a new bowl turner, I still haven't completely gotten past the "Ive got to use the whole piece mind set". Its tough to turn away some pretty wood!:)

Charlie Reals
12-08-2010, 10:05 AM
I like it Don, nice piece of wood. I have a very similar piece by the same name in the sanding stage on the lathe now. It's been anchor sealed 6 months.The dip bowl on mine is about 1/3 of yours and I think it is too small. Looking at yours I would say about half would be close.
+1 to your form theory also.
charlie