PDA

View Full Version : My first hollow form with pedestal and finial

John Spitters
12-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Hollowform is Maple, with only a bit of figuire, both pedestal and finial are also maple but colored with a black permanent marker.
The finial at its thinest measures .057" The body of the form measures 3.25"w x 3.75"h and overall it measures 3.25"w x 9.5"h with the entrance hole @ 13/16" finish is wipe on poly.
I still need to wait a few days before I buff and apply a coat of wax.

Please excuse the bad pic as I don't have the best camera to work with.
I should also add that I tried to duplicate the form at the top of the finial.

John

Baxter Smith
12-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Very impressive. The first thought that came to mind was "sleek looking piece". Great color in the body. Finish too. I have used the permanent marker as well. Low tech but works pretty well.

Thomas Canfield
12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Excellent looking for a first - or for a 100th. Very delicate look. Some might want a more delicate looking finial, but it all works for me.

Richard Madden
12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Nice one, John. I really like the shape you came up with here. The finial and pedestal look great and proportioned just right. You should be proud!

David E Keller
12-07-2010, 10:37 PM
That's great, John. I love the way the bottom of the form blends into the pedestal, and the detailing in very nice. Great finish, too. I'll be looking forward to your next one.

David DeCristoforo
12-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Absolutely top flight. First, last or whatever. It's just beautiful!

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2010, 10:51 PM
John - this is very impressive! Beautiful wood and finish! Love the curl! Also really like your finial!

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Michael James
12-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Nice one John! I have yet to attempt the finial or pedastel - you seemed to have a good grasp of that right off the bat. The maple is nice and the finish looks like it should buff out niceley. Keep em coming!
Michael

Scott Hackler
12-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Very nice, very nice indeed!

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2010, 12:37 AM
That is a great piece John. Really pretty wood. I do like the form, finial and base.

David Reed
12-08-2010, 12:49 AM
I really like the shape and the way both the finial and pedestal base transition into the hollow form. Duplicating the form at the top of the finial was a nice touch

John Keeton
12-08-2010, 7:10 AM
Very nice work, John!! Elegant and clean. I like the proportions and the form of the finial. Wonder what it would do if the general look of the finial was replicated in the pedestal? Just a thought for the next one perhaps!

You did an outstanding job on this!!

Ken Glass
12-08-2010, 8:12 AM
John,
Very impressive, especially for your first HF and Finial. The form is very pleasing and flows well. The detail of the Finial is amazing given its your first attempt. You should be very proud of this piece. It shows a great aptitude. Well Done.

charlie knighton
12-08-2010, 8:31 AM
very nice....

bob svoboda
12-08-2010, 9:25 AM
Very nicely done. I really like the shape and proportions of this piece.

Paul Douglass
12-08-2010, 9:44 AM
Holy cow! First one?? Really a beautiful one for sure.

Joe Aliperti
12-08-2010, 9:46 AM
That is an awesome piece! I hope my first HF turns out half as good!

Bill Bolen
12-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I really love a well done elevated hf and this one sure fits that description! Gorgeous piece...Bill...

Mark Hubl
12-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Nice work. Good proportions and curves. Looks terrific.

Tony De Masi
12-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Wow. Very impressive work. And your first one too? I burned my first one. Really well done.

John Spitters
12-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks all for the kind comments ... This was my first form on a pedestal ... with a finial. I've tried finials before but never with the two combined, and this is definitely the most delicate finial that I have done.

I'm quite pleased with the outcome but not fully satisfied with how the base of the finial meets with the form. I think that I lost the "flow" between the two. But if you look at the base pedestal you can see that the form and the base flow smoothly together.

John

David DeCristoforo
12-08-2010, 1:55 PM
I keep looking at this because there is something bothering me about it and I could not put my finger on it. Finally I realized that it's the way the pedestal and finial relate. Or, rather, don't. They are both extremely well done and either could stand alone. But they are just so different in design that they do not work well together. This is a small nit to pick but there it is... I still love the piece!

Jim Burr
12-08-2010, 3:13 PM
Very elegant John! Everything on this one is in balance :D

Steve Stack
12-08-2010, 3:56 PM
Your first HF, I'm sorry I can't critque but it's folks like you that I now spend most of my time with the neanderthals, but I haven't given up all hope and still am learning the round world. Fantastic looking piece,
Steve

Scott Hackler
12-08-2010, 4:46 PM
John, I had to re-visit your pictures and study them more. The short and sweet is that, for me, its a strong B+. If the pedestal matched the excellent finial, in form, this would be a A++ in my books. Everything above the pedestal is super. The form, finish and balance looks really good for my eye.

Just something to concider while turning HF #2. This is something to definitely be proud of. My first one looks like a pre-schooler turned it in comparison to this!