PDA

View Full Version : Here's another

Cathy Schaewe
12-07-2010, 8:43 PM
This is a piece of birch I roughed out 3 months ago. The scale said it was dry (I knew better but couldn't help myself because I wanted to see what it would look like) so I finish turned it, and of course it did a little warping. The warping wasn't such a big deal, but I had a lot of flexing (this was before I got my beautiful Jeff Nicol steady rest:D), and the bark inclusions made it worse, so the form wasn't exactly what I envisioned.

I had hoped for a bit more of a curve going up, rather than so much of a straight line, but sometimes you take what you can get. I believe this is what Leo would call a "hat"...;)

I filled some of the cracks with a mix of coffee, copper dust and epoxy. Unfortunately, you can't see that very well, but it really compliments the red of the birch, IMO. There's some neat chatoyance, too, but my photography skills have yet to reveal those things ...

I would appreciate thoughts and comments -

oh, it's 3 3/4" tall, 8 1/2" wide, and the foot is 2 1/2". Finished with rattle-can lacquer.

James Combs
12-07-2010, 8:46 PM
A beautiful piece of wood Cathy.

John Keeton
12-07-2010, 8:47 PM
Wow, Cathy!! That is beautiful wood! And, I believe you captured the chatoyance about as good as a pic can. I really like the undulating rim.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2010, 8:54 PM
That is really some beautiful wood and the bowl looks great. I like the simple form.

Don Alexander
12-07-2010, 8:56 PM
very nice and i think the warpage works to your advantage sometimes and this looks to be one of those times :)

Michael James
12-07-2010, 9:09 PM
Beautiful chunk of wood! Not sure that shape is my favorite bowl form, but I love how the rim is expressing itself:D. It says "I am unique" all over. The photos look pretty darn good to me, I've got a long way to go to get mine to that level. Keep em coming!
Michael

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-07-2010, 9:16 PM
Kathy,
I like that one a lot. The bit of warping seems like it belongs. The wood has so much character who would see a bit of warp anyway.
faust

Leo Van Der Loo
12-07-2010, 10:41 PM
This is a piece of birch I roughed out 3 months ago. The scale said it was dry (I knew better but couldn't help myself because I wanted to see what it would look like) so I finish turned it, and of course it did a little warping. The warping wasn't such a big deal, but I had a lot of flexing (this was before I got my beautiful Jeff Nicol steady rest:D), and the bark inclusions made it worse, so the form wasn't exactly what I envisioned.

I had hoped for a bit more of a curve going up, rather than so much of a straight line, but sometimes you take what you can get. I believe this is what Leo would call a "hat"...;)

I filled some of the cracks with a mix of coffee, copper dust and epoxy. Unfortunately, you can't see that very well, but it really compliments the red of the birch, IMO. There's some neat chatoyance, too, but my photography skills have yet to reveal those things ...

I would appreciate thoughts and comments -

oh, it's 3 3/4" tall, 8 1/2" wide, and the foot is 2 1/2". Finished with rattle-can lacquer.

Cathy that is a very nice piece, and like many of us you are your own worst critic I think, for the warping,take a dry board and resaw it into 2 thinner boards, and you will very probably have two warped boards, the same here, when the wood dried there gets to be quite a bit of tension in that bowl, now returning it will throw that tension off and the piece will show that, especially with a piece of wood like you used that has quite a bit of unequal areas in it.

The shape suits this piece very well IMO, in other words, I like it :D

David E Keller
12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
I like it! That's a really pretty piece of wood, and the form does nothing to detract from the beauty.

charlie knighton
12-07-2010, 10:53 PM
very nice....

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Cathy - you should be very happy with this bowl! Beautiful wood and the way it slightly warped actually enhances the appeal of the piece!

Nice. Very nice! Looking forward to seeing what's next!