PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 owners question

Steve Speiser
12-07-2010, 7:34 PM
Hi,
I just received a new Delta 4-460 lathe and the motor is making a "ticking noise". Similar to when a kid attaches a playing card to a bicycle and it runs against the spokes. Not that loud, it's actually pretty soft, but its a steady "tick, tick,tick tick sort of sound. I removed the belts from the pulleys and it's definitely coming from the motor.
Wondering if any other owners have experienced this or have thoughts as to what it might be.
thanks,
Steve

John Keeton
12-07-2010, 7:38 PM
I get that sometimes with mine, but not all the time. But, I get a variety of other noises from time to time, as well. No heat, no smoke, no problem?!?!?

Sometimes, I think the little noises are the result of the way a piece is chucked or some other reason. Does yours do it without the chuck on it?

Michael James
12-07-2010, 7:38 PM
I just got mine a few weeks ago, spooky quiet. No help here; sorry.:(

Steve Speiser
12-07-2010, 8:09 PM
I get that sometimes with mine, but not all the time. But, I get a variety of other noises from time to time, as well. No heat, no smoke, no problem?!?!?

Sometimes, I think the little noises are the result of the way a piece is chucked or some other reason. Does yours do it without the chuck on it?

Thanks for the responses.... yes it does it with no chuck & even no belt. It's definitely coming from the motor.

David T gray
12-07-2010, 8:14 PM
mine did that when i got it then it went away still makes clicking noises sometimes.

Gary Max
12-07-2010, 8:14 PM
Mine did the same thing for about the first hour then smoothed out. I have no ideal why.

Steve Mawson
12-07-2010, 8:31 PM
Seems like mine did to. Never tried it without the belt. Don't hear it much any more.

Cathy Schaewe
12-07-2010, 8:33 PM
Mine did/does it too, on occasion. Most noticeably in reverse. Never seemed to bother it much, though.:)

James Combs
12-07-2010, 8:42 PM

I agree with John I get something similar on my little Griz G0658 lathe depending on how I have the piece chucked up. Must be something to do with the amount of load on the spindle bearings.

Donny Lawson
12-07-2010, 8:47 PM
Never had a problem with mine. It's always been quiet. It's been really quiet lately since it's been 3 months since I've turned anything.
Donny

Ken Hill
12-07-2010, 8:57 PM
Mine whines....

Mainly tells me to cut it some slack and give it a rest:eek::D

(Mines quiet, no ticky ticky)

Jack Mincey
12-07-2010, 9:31 PM
Try loosening and tightening the belt. Belt tension causes this on a lot of lathes even the Mustard Monsters. I'm not sure if it causes the belt to rub something are what, but loosening the belt can make the noise go away most of the time.
Jack

Leo Van Der Loo
12-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Mine does not go click click click, but if it did, I would take off the belt like you did and see if it was the motor and eliminate the spindle from being the culprit.
If I still did hear the noise I would make sure the pulley wasn't rubbing against anything and causing that noise, next I would make sure the pulley was tight on the motor, also run it in reverse to see if that makes a difference, if all these things passed the test I would scratch my head and start turning, still making sure it wasn't getting any worse. :-))

Steve Speiser
12-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Well thanks for all the great information, tips, thoughts and experience. All it needed was a good "exorcism". Following the comments of several users, that "the noise went away after about an hour of use", I did the following:
1- I set the belt on the middle pulley
2- I set the speed control midway
3- I turned on the lathe
4- I left the shop for 45 minutes
5- I poured myself a glass of wine and chanted the mantra.... noise, noise, go away I want to turn some wood today.
6- I returned to the shop and the noise is gone
7- I'll wait to turn until tomorrow, since wine & turning don't mix (at least not for me)
Thanks to everyone for the the great information. Support here is AWESOME!
Steve

Jon Prouty
12-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Well thanks for all the great information, tips, thoughts and experience. All it needed was a good "exorcism". Following the comments of several users, that "the noise went away after about an hour of use", I did the following:
1- I set the belt on the middle pulley
2- I set the speed control midway
3- I turned on the lathe
4- I left the shop for 45 minutes
5- I poured myself a glass of wine and chanted the mantra.... noise, noise, go away I want to turn some wood today.
6- I returned to the shop and the noise is gone
7- I'll wait to turn until tomorrow, since wine & turning don't mix (at least not for me)
Thanks to everyone for the the great information. Support here is AWESOME!
Steve

that is really funny. glad to hear all is well with the lathe now.

Jon

Paul Douglass
12-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I noticed a clicking on mine after it had been used a while. It wasn't the lathe, it was my Nova chuck. It just clicks at low speed. Something in it moves and I think the centrifugal force makes it stop as I speed up the lathe.

I have noticed one thing I don't like about my Delta. If I have the tail stock extended out quite a ways. using it to steady a blank, it wobbles. Just too light in my opinion.

Rob Holcomb
12-08-2010, 5:02 PM
Mine doesn't "tick" but makes a light "fit fit fit" sound at low speeds. It hasn't caused any issues at all though so I ignore it.

Rick Boyett
12-08-2010, 7:05 PM
So far, no problems with mine.