PDA

View Full Version : Sealing for turning

alex grams
12-07-2010, 7:08 PM
I am not a turner, but came across some 6" diameter straight branches of boise d'Arc (osage orange) and cut about six 10" pieces from it for which I would like to seal and save for making some mallets when I can get access to a lathe. What is the best method for sealing them? I currently just put some heavy wax on the ends, but figure I will need to get some anchor seal and paint the ends. Given that they are about 6" diameter and still have bark, how long should I let them cure before I try and turn them? Should I strip the bark so that they dry a little faster?

Thanks in advance.

-Alex

Gary Max
12-07-2010, 7:14 PM
Wax will do the trick. You really want to turn them before they completely dry. Stuff gets real hard.

David E Keller
12-07-2010, 7:41 PM
The wax should be fine. I'd leave the bark alone. I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait a long time if you're waiting on the sections to dry... Sometime around 2020 they should be dry.:eek:

If you're able to turn pith-free sections to the size you want, I'd turn them now and then give them a heavy handed coat of paste wax. After that, hope for the best.

Dennis Ford
12-07-2010, 7:46 PM
Osage makes great mallets. I recommend that you split the pieces length-wise through the pith to reduce cracking problems. Sealing the end grain of the split pieces should give you a decent succes rate (some of them may crack anyway). Removing the bark will not change the drying rate much but it will reduce damage from insects.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2010, 9:20 PM
I would split them down the middle and turn them now. When dry it is some hard wood. Sealing them with wax as others have said will work.

alex grams
12-07-2010, 9:26 PM
Split them down the middle? Not sure I am gathering what you are talking about. If I split them down the middle then the subsequent pieces would not be large enough diameter to turn. You suggest splitting them down the middle so they dry faster, then drying and gluing them back together when they are dry for turning?

Curt Fuller
12-07-2010, 9:40 PM
Alex, I think the point everyone is making about splitting the wood down the middle is that it will likely split anyway. Logs left to dry in the round with the pith still in the center are very hard to keep from cracking regardless of how you seal them. Most logs usually have the pith somewhat off center so if you split them (I would resaw on a bandsaw if possible) down the pith you might still have a side large enough to make your mallets. Otherwise you could resaw into 1" thick slabs, seal them and dry for a year or so, then plane and glue up a large enough block for the size mallet you want. It would still make a very sturdy mallet.

Prashun Patel
12-07-2010, 9:50 PM
I suggest you cut down the center of the pith. You can make yr own anchorseal by mixing a soft petroleum wax with turpentine or mineral spirits to make an emulsion. It's worked fine for me.