PDA

View Full Version : 1st hollow form

Don Alexander
12-07-2010, 4:55 PM
well i decided to try a hollow form for real so i bought a Sorby swan neck
hollowing tool, cut off a chunk of maple burl from a log i got in a trade with Robert Arrowood , and went to work
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=508&pictureid=4579
heres the resulthttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=508&pictureid=4577
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=508&pictureid=4580

pretty uniform thickness throughout its about 5 1/2" tall just over 4" at widest point

comments/critique welcomed

Roger Chandler
12-07-2010, 4:59 PM
Pretty wood, and very nice for your first HF. I really like the wood! Nice form.

Frank Van Atta
12-07-2010, 5:03 PM
Nice work and a nice piece of wood. IMO it would look better if you had continued the curve on the side all the way down, making the bottom smaller. Just a thought . . .

Baxter Smith
12-07-2010, 7:18 PM
Pretty wood and a great start! I would agree with Frank on the smaller foot. The general rule of 1/3 for the bottom on bowls for looks I think pretty much applies to hollowforms and vases as well. I think even smaller than that-though not a lot smaller-is even more pleasing. IMO the continuous curve in looks more graceful though I have tried some similar to yours. JMO but that style might have worked better if the form had been a little taller and the foot a little smaller. Still a pretty piece with a nice finish!

John Keeton
12-07-2010, 7:26 PM
Don, you have exhibited some good tool control here! Nice work, and beautiful wood. I would normally agree on the foot, but not with the opening as wide as it is. IMO, a smaller foot would not have looked as good with the wider, flared opening.

David E Keller
12-07-2010, 7:58 PM
Pretty wood, and I like the flared opening. FWIW, I'll cast another vote for continuing the curve into a slightly smaller foot. Nicely done.

charlie knighton
12-07-2010, 8:29 PM
very nice, ambrosa maple with burl, hmmmmmm

Don Alexander
12-07-2010, 8:54 PM
whats even better Charlie is that is just a small piece of the log :D

lotsa firsts on this piece for me 1st hollow form, made a donut chuck ,
1st time using a swan neck tool, 1st piece of that nice maple burl log i got from Robert Arrowood back in the summer, first time i tried debugging large chunks of log, might be a few more i forgot

originally the foot was intended to be smaller once i parted the scrap block off, but i just couldn't get it centered well enough in the donut chuck to try it without screwing it up , and truth to tell i am leaning toward John's comment on the width of the foot

funny thing is if i had a smaller faceplate than 3" i would have used iton this piece and the foot would have been smaller

i will definitely be making more hollow forms

thanks for the input guys it helps with the learning curve

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2010, 8:56 PM
Don that is a great first HF. I agree with the others that a smaller foot with a nice curve from the shoulder.

Tim Rinehart
12-07-2010, 10:00 PM
You hear that rushing noise....the hollow form vortex takes another one down it's dollar diminishing spiral...ahh, you'll be sporting terms like Monster, Elbo, Pencil, Jordan, Jamieson and others in no time.
Hehehe...:p
Truly...a very nice first hollow form. Beats the heck out of my first!!

Thomas Canfield
12-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Don,

Nice looking . You might also consider using a jam chuck in the hollow opening and your live center in the glue block or base to turn the bottom down to a small shaft that can be then parted off and stem removed with chisel or carving knive and sanded. For a delicate hollow form, you may need the jam to go to the bottom. Don Pencil has a Jam Chuck that will apply pressure to bottom and support for the open end on deeper or larger hollow forms. I find that a jam chuck is easier to use in most cases, but do like my donut chuck to get full access to bottom and when no center is available for live center.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Don - congrats on your first hollow form! You did good! Beautiful wood and finish! Form is something that you develop over time and lots of experience. Looking forward to seeing HF #2!

Have fun!

Rob Cunningham
12-10-2010, 8:44 AM
Very nice hollow form. The wood and finish are beautiful.

Paul Douglass
12-10-2010, 10:20 AM
That is a nice one. I'd be awful proud of it. Beautiful wood.

Ron Stadler
12-10-2010, 12:18 PM
wow, very nice for a first I would say. The form looks really nice to me and looks like you did a nice job hollowing.