PDA

View Full Version : Lathe parts advice ...

Joe Judge
01-02-2005, 8:25 PM
I could use your advice ...

I have a Rockwell (later Delta) 46-111 lathe -- a 11" with a nice 14" cut-out area near the headstock. Its a gap-bed lathe that I got at a yardsale, then fixed it into working condition.

However, it came without a tool rest base/banjo. I've been getting along with a homemade (wood) -- but I really need the real thing.

What are my options?

-- joe

What I think ....

Option 1:
Pay a rediculous amount of money to Delta for this part.

Option 2:
Buy the $50 Delta banjo, find a way to grind down the oversized ridge in the holding plate so it fits in my gap/bed + grind notches in all the bed-supports so it can slide along the bed.

Option 2:
Keep watching (and missing, losing, etc.) each auction for a banjo that *might* fit.

Steve Stube
01-03-2005, 3:16 AM
Joe,

Welcome to Saw Mill Creek. Registerand join in as there is lots of help among the folks here.

Have you tried contacting Delta for it? I did a price look-up on the Delta site and it doesn't list it as available.

46-111 Tool Support Rest #49 inthe parts breakdown shows the part number
434-01-005-0017

I have a couple of the Delta 14/11 lathes. Little over a week ago I put new spindle bearings in one but didn't contact Delta about bearings. I got them from a bearing supplier figuring they would be cheaper. I just checked for these bearings on the Delta site and no results found for the Delta numbers.
Bearing SP5339 and part number 920-08-020-5339

I am surprised that not even the bearings are available as they are not an uncommon bearing - New Departure 87505.

Hope you can find a good second-hand toolrest at a bargin