PDA

View Full Version : Finish for bench top?

Jesse Tutterrow
12-07-2010, 4:17 PM
(not sure if I should ask here or in the Workshop forum)

I built a 16 foot long workbench by constructing 5 cabinets. Over that I added an additional layer of 3/4 inch plywood. This brings the top to 1 1/2 inch thick birch plywood. I intend to use the top as an extension to my miter saw.

I am considering applying 1 or two cotes of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal on the top. I want to apply a hard surface to the plywood so it will resist scratching and any glue will come off.

Do I also need to coat the inside (bottom) layer of the top?
Will Arm-R-Seal be a good choice? I have been using it on wooden Cauls with great success.

Thanks in Advance,

Jesse

Chris Fournier
12-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I think that you'd be further ahead to consider contact cementing a laminate to your top rather than painting if you want a durable finish.

Scott Holmes
12-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Another option may woodworkers choose is to cover the top with 1/8" hardboard.

No finish needed cheap to buy, tough as nails and easy to replace.

On my maple benches I use an oil/varnish blend and refresh it once in a while (a year or 2). Equal parts of varnish mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil make a great oil/varnish blend. I pick the varnish very scientifically... whatever type I have a little bit left to make the blend.

Dan Hulbert
12-09-2010, 2:53 PM
I have a patternmakers bench that came out of a GM foundary many years ago. The working surface is hardboard covered with shellac. Glue comes off easily with a card scraper, when it gets beat up, I slap on another coat of shellac from the bottom of whatever can I happen to be finishing off. The hardboard is screwed down and the screwholes are filled, so the surface is smooth.

If it worked for professional paternmakers, it will work for me.