PDA

View Full Version : Link belts on planer??

Robert Boyer
12-07-2010, 3:58 PM
I have a Delta 15 inch planer with three drive belts..they are starting to smoke and get hot...time to replace..the belts are matched and rather expensive from Delta...has anyone ever tried three link belts in a situation like this...I'm thinking that they would be matched (same number of links). Also, the Delta table saw has three drive belts...same deal?? Three link belts??? Thanks in advance for any help.......Bob

Brad Patch
12-07-2010, 5:00 PM
I have read a lot of pro and con regarding their use. Some will say that link belts cause excessive wear on Aluminum pulleys. I had a link belt and steel pulleys on a Delta Contractors saw and their use really reduced vibration. Search OWWM.COM I'm sure there is a lot of discussion there.

Josiah Bartlett
12-07-2010, 5:58 PM
Link belts can't transmit as much power as a good V belt, so if you are running more than 2 or 3 horsepower they might not be a good fit, but you will know that if you wear them out early.

Bill LaPointe
12-07-2010, 8:29 PM
I replaced the 3 v belts on my Unisaw and have no problems or vibration. Actually have replaced all v belts on all my machines with link belt and felt I got my moneys worth.

Matt Mackinnon
12-07-2010, 8:45 PM
I would have thought that if they are smoking and getting hot then that would be an indication that the pulleys are out of alignment. A well aligned pulley should give very little friction to a v-belt. V-belts generally wear out from age and hardening from flexing around a small pulley that cold works the rubber and makes it less flexible.

The advantage of a link belt is that each of the links are more like a metal chain, so the link between each of the pieces is what moves and doesn't wear out the actual belt.

Matt.