PDA

View Full Version : Bookends

Martin Boekers
12-07-2010, 1:43 PM
I'm looking for a nice set of bookends that can be engraved or a plate attached.

Client specified NICE!:D

Any ideas? Event is this weekend.

Thanks!

Steve Clarkson
12-07-2010, 4:27 PM
Marty,

Try a bookstore......I know that Barnes & Noble carries a small line of bookends......not sure if any would be engravable though.

Larry Bratton
12-07-2010, 5:58 PM
I just googled bookends and a site called justbookends.com came up. Under the Classic section they have a set of black marble ends that look nice to me (for 80 bucks) Those would be beautiful engraved.

Martin Boekers
12-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the input, I didn't find anything that was really nice through my typical vendors. A couple were ok but expediated shipping costs just
tooooo much $$.

I got creative and modified these eagle busts I have in stock.

I didn't spent to much time clearing the background so the photo isn't the best:(, but I think this will work.

Dan Hintz
12-08-2010, 11:10 AM
I would have made the vertical part a little thicker (maybe twice what you have), but other than that it's a really cool looking set. Where did you find those heads? Reminds me of the costumes they used in some of the Stargate SG-1 shows...

Martin Boekers
12-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I would have made the vertical part a little thicker (maybe twice what you have), but other than that it's a really cool looking set. Where did you find those heads? Reminds me of the costumes they used in some of the Stargate SG-1 shows...

I just stock the .125in black right now, you maybe right, though about thicker.

I may use the .25in clear a spray with Fusion.

The head comes in 3 sizes from Plastic Dress Up (PDU) they have a full
eagle to.

Been a pretty good seller for me!

Marty

Dan Ashlin
12-08-2010, 2:25 PM
Laserbits sells some crystal awards shaped like books. I used two of those for a set of monogrammed bookends once. Came out really nice.
http://www.laserbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_201&products_id=540

Dee Gallo
12-08-2010, 3:33 PM
Thanks for the input, I didn't find anything that was really nice through my typical vendors. A couple were ok but expediated shipping costs just
tooooo much $$.

I got creative and modified these eagle busts I have in stock.

I didn't spent to much time clearing the background so the photo isn't the best:(, but I think this will work.

I like these better than any I've seen in a long time! Personally, I like the thinner edge, it won't detract from the books but will still do its job. Great solution, Martin!

Martin Boekers
12-08-2010, 4:20 PM
I like these better than any I've seen in a long time! Personally, I like the thinner edge, it won't detract from the books but will still do its job. Great solution, Martin!

Thanks Dee,

Sometimes you just have to be creative and work with what you have!

Marty

Terry Swift
12-12-2010, 4:51 AM
There's a place called AFTOSA (http://www.aftosa.com/) that sells bookends. I used a pair that holds 4" Ceramic Tiles. Rosewood and black are the colors available in that style.

Martin Boekers
12-12-2010, 11:15 AM
There's a place called AFTOSA (http://www.aftosa.com/) that sells bookends. I used a pair that holds 4" Ceramic Tiles. Rosewood and black are the colors available in that style.

Thanks for the tip. I buy quite a bit of tile boxes from them. They have some nice products.

In the 5 years I have been here this is the first request I have had for bookends.
I might have to get a couple with the tile insets. I started doing tiles about a year
an a half ago and now I'd say it's become about 15% of my business.

Ya just never know!

Terry Swift
12-13-2010, 1:28 PM
Martin,

Yes, AFTOSA is a hidden jewel out there among the big distributors. They have some good products at good prices (which we all want and need). I don't do sublimation at this point; but Steve / Scott does most of my tiles and such like that - GREAT JOB too. I can't find a pic yet of the completed project; but they were the rosewood bookends and the tiles just seemed to be a part of them after putting together.

I'll have to check out AFTOSA myself more for good deals.