PDA

View Full Version : The Learning Bench (Pics)-(LONG)

John Miliunas
01-02-2005, 7:25 PM
So, what the heck is a "Learning Bench", you may ask? For me, that's exactly what this experience has been, since it involved a lot of "firsts" for me. Part of me says this should be appearing on the Neander side, as its intended use will primarily be for hand tool work, but many, MANY electrons gave up their lives in this effort so here it is.:)

Rewind back about a month or so ago. Woodcraft was having a decent sale on their Sjobergs bench tops (19"x66"). I like the top, didn't like the cheapo leg set they were offering, as well, on sale. Decided it was time for me to make an attempt at building my own base. I looked at many designs from others, as well as those provided by OEM's. It's not a real large top and therefor, not very heavy. I figured early on that two things were paramount in the design: 1) It's GOT to be solid, with no fear of wracking. 2) I need to make it as heavy as I can. To that end, I chose to use solid Hard Maple (ALL taken from "rough" to finished here in the shop) for the majority of construction, albeit, there was also some 3/4" MDF used for shelves.

I had read where full cabinets under the bench tend to amplify noise created on the top, such as in a speaker enclosure. I *know* my own tendencies and, even though its primary function will be that of hand tooling, I can easily see the occassional excercise with powered sanders and such, so that design element was considered. I had also thought about drawers. Again, I know my own habits and realize that any drawers in there would NOT stay completely free of clutter. That said, any heavy duty work on top of the bench would transfer into rattling noises as I work. Didn't want that, either. Hence, I elected to keep the general design pretty "open" and decide on what to use the open cavity under the main shelf for later on. I have since decided on what to do with one half of it, the other remains open to discussion, hopefully suggestions from fellow Creekers with more experience than myself!:) There you have "Phase 1" of my learning experience. I spent a lot of time considering what my needs would be and what I would expect out of these various pieces of lumber once assembled.

Even though I have been playing with WW for several years now, I had not experienced a need for stuff like M&T or even loose tenons! :eek: Yeah, I had accumulated some of the necessary equipment, but never really used the tools. So, that became a part of the assembly process. The main legs going into the horizontal structure, which ultimately makes contact with the ground, were full M&T. I ended up doing those on my DP with a mortise adapter. Done on a C-man DP, which inherently hasn't been very accurate, proved to be a bit of a challenge, but do-able. I cleaned up the mortises with chisels & mallet. The tenons were done on the good old Laguna, 16HD and cleaned up with chisels, as well. A couple of them ended up just a wee bit loose, one of which, I even ended up gluing in a sliver in the mortise to help close it up a bit. To that effect, I also elected to pin all the M&T joints with 3/8" dowels, 4 per joint, as well as use poly glue to further help with filling and voids. The rest of the meeting joints were loose tenons, where I employed the help of the BeadLock System. Now THAT was money well-spent, IMHO! Worked great. At any rate, I now know how to use either method quite well, if I do say so myself.

Another consideration I had through the design phase was, how would I attach the main stretchers along the length of the base? I had seen where many incorporate the threaded rod, set in a groove of the stretchers. For whatever reason, that just didn't appeal to me, but I still wanted to allow for seasonal changes in temp/humidity. I spotted the "Bench Bolts" LV sells and thought this would be the ticket. Yet, even though I liked the nice brass look, I figured I would need eight of these puppies to do it the way I felt was necessary and that would set me back about fifty big ones. I've seen this type of assembly method used elsewhere, but not nearly as pretty or heavy duty. I thought about just drilling a hole and sticking the nut & washer in there to attach the bolt, but felt it was tacky. I came upon the idea of splitting a 1" dowel (Cherry) into a bit better than 1/2 of it and drilling a hole through it. I then took some "T" nuts, and bent the tangs out and grinding two opposing sides to better fit within the confines of the dowel. I applied some epoxy to them and pressed them in with my bench vise. Bingo! Worked like a champ. The through-bolts themselves are 3/8" and 6-1/2" long.

The shelves are supported across the stretchers, as well as another support running perpendicular in the middle, to help alleviate sagging. As mentioned above, they are 3/4" MDF. I embelished the bench a bit with end panels, framed in Cherry with some figured Maple in the middle. I also threw together a rack for my main planes, which I think may make its home on the bottom shelf as shown in the pictures. I'm still trying to decide on the second half of the cavity and am open to suggestions. As a note, I already have a home for my chisels in real close proximity to the bench, though expect a few more planes, though most of those will be of a smaller variety.

The finish is Arm-R-Seal, Oil/Urethane Topcoat on the base (3 coats) and 3 coats of BLO on the top. Some specifics of material used: Main base is 48" x 16-1/2" with a 2' footprint for the legs. I had to use the threaded, adjustable glides, as the floor in this shop is extremely uneven throughout. The bulk of the components are 1-3/4"x 3-3/8", while the main stretcher is 1-3/4"x7". The upper shelf sits with a full 4" of open space under the top, giving me enough room to stash tools on it while work is being done on the top. The unit stands 34-1/8" tall and is positioned in an area where it can act as an extension to my current outfeed table on the TS for extremely long pieces. It's also positioned, so that I can have access on all four sides. As far as solid or potential problems with wracking, I think not! I feel pretty confident that, if you could balance it properly, you could park a truck on top of this guy!:)

That about covers it. Lots learned, lots more left to learn and I sincerely believe this piece will play its part as a tool in that learning experience. Questions, comments, critiques, suggestions are all entirely welcome, without fear of retribution! Thanks for taking a peek!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
01-02-2005, 7:28 PM
Well, THAT WORKS!! Beautiful job, John!!! The best of both worlds, too...an open design with storage, too. Kewel!! I love the curl in the maple, too...it really adds that "little extra" to the project.

Tyler Howell
01-02-2005, 7:31 PM
Real Nice as always John, Real nice!:cool:

Mark Singer
01-02-2005, 8:04 PM
John,

Excelllent job and very through thought process. The bench looks very solid and will serve you well.
What I especially like about this project and your description is how you used the project to learn and add techniques to the ones you already have. This is a great way to expand your abilities, gain cofidence in new techniques that will lead to even more challenging projects.
Using hand tools in combination with machines and power tools is the beginining of a higher level of woodworking that is rewarding and it shows in the end product.

I really like what you have done with the bench...and I am glad to see you picking up some key techniques that will serve you on almost every project!

Neil Clemmons
01-02-2005, 8:10 PM
Excellent job, John. That bench will outlast us all, and probably always look better too :D

Neil

Jack Hogoboom
01-02-2005, 8:17 PM
John,

I am GREEN with envy. I am in the process of thinking about benches. Yours looks absolutely PERFECT!! No way I could do something like that. I don't suppose you feel like selling it and starting a new one? :D

Enjoy,

Jack

Christopher Stahl
01-02-2005, 8:18 PM
I think it looks great! Good job John.

Terry Quiram
01-02-2005, 8:24 PM
Well done John. That is a real beauty. Mine is still on saw horses.

Terry

Roy Wall
01-02-2005, 8:32 PM
John,

I really lilke the end panels.....well, the whole bench:D !!!

The Panels 1) stiffen the bench for sure &
2) add beauty and craftmanship!!

Are the legs the primary attachment to the top??... or is there a crossmember in there I can't see??

You did a great job!!! Thanks for sharing!

Dick Parr
01-02-2005, 9:05 PM
WOW John, very very nice. That is one beautiful bench you have there and it looks like it will take a beating. Great job. :)

Mark Singer
01-02-2005, 9:10 PM
John,

I wanted to add ....the plane tray is a super idea and really works!

Tim Morton
01-02-2005, 9:35 PM
I'm going to bookmark this so that in 10 years or so i may be able to attempt it!!! It really looks awesome John.

Ted Shrader
01-02-2005, 9:45 PM
John -

Looks like you turned that top into a good sturdy bench. Plenty of storage and very nice looking.

Well done,
Ted

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-02-2005, 9:58 PM
John, that bench may give the lathe some competition for your free time. It will be a real joy to work at. Looking forward to pics of the projects coming off the bench.

Bob Marino
01-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Just an echo of the other comments and a great well done. Looks solid, functional and attractive.

Bob

Jerry Olexa
01-02-2005, 10:14 PM
John, really OUTSTANDING work! Looks very solid,and functional. I have the same top and built my own underpinnings etc w 4X4 posts and 2" rails and many M/Ts but mine doesn't look even 1/2 as professional or solid as yours. I like the way you incorporated the dowels and the plane rack. Great job! You'll enjoy it on your next project!!

Dean Baumgartner
01-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Very nice work John

John Miliunas
01-02-2005, 10:27 PM
A great BIG thanks for all of your kind words! You are most generous. Like I said before, a learning process and I guess I'm kinda' proud of the fact that it went along with very few mistakes, and those were minor and/or easily corrected.:)

Roy, yes, the legs are attached to the top via two cross-braces on the bottom of the top. One was there, I added one on the other end, again out of Hard Maple.

Oh, and for those of you guys saying it will be years before you "can build one like it", I beg to differ with you. I've seen some of your work and I'm the one who feels like I'm playing "catch-up"! Heck, if All-Thumbs here can do it, ANYone of you can!:) Thanks again!:cool:

Lou Morrissette
01-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Looks strong and purdy too. Good job, John.

Lou

Karl Laustrup
01-03-2005, 6:43 AM
WOW! :cool: Don't really know what else to say, Spring. You have managed to create a wonderful work station. I hope you will allow me to borrow some of your ideas when I do my bench. I've already started to figure out if I want to make mine [I do have enough Maple I think] or buy the top and build a base.

Thanks for the inspiration and details on the build.

Joe Mioux
01-03-2005, 7:19 AM
John: The bench looks great, your fit and finish is superb. I especially, like the way you set your planes. They are right where you need them.

Joe

Kelly C. Hanna
01-03-2005, 8:09 AM
John....very nice work on your bench! I like the contrasting dowels a lot.

Chris DeHut
01-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi John,

Just wanted to say "Great Bench". Many woodworkers choose to make their own tops and I see that you took the direction of purchasing your top.

Here at the magazine, we get many requests for a workbench project. Everytime I go over the economics of it, I come to the same conclusion, a purchased top is your best value. With the purchased top you get, good quality materials, a flat surface, and good vices, all around a good combination of value and quality.

You have done a great job of adding your personal touch to it with your base and your pane rack.

Enjoy it!

Chris DeHut

John Weber
01-03-2005, 10:35 AM
John,

Great project and nice write up, now what we need is a full blown shop tour!

Yeah, I recall the day you pulled the W&H out of the forrest, let's see all the additions from last year...

John

John Miliunas
01-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Many thanks again, for the additional comments! Man, you make a guy's head sweal!:eek: Fun project and lots learned!

Chris, that's pretty much the conclusion I came to, as well. That, plus the fact that, I'm a slo-o-o-o-o-ow woodworker, still learning as I go. Had it been necessary for me to make the top, as well as the base, it may have been next Summer before completion!:rolleyes:

Karl, "steal" any ideas you like. I can send you detailed pics of things in particular, if that would help.:)

John, yeah I know....Shop tour. When I get the place tidied up a bit! (Ahhhhh, that means it may be a WHILE!:D ).

Now I just need to complete projects worthy of the bench!:rolleyes: :cool:

Alan Turner
01-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Nice work, John, You will use it with pleasure for many years to come.
Alan

Byron Trantham
01-03-2005, 12:37 PM
So much for claiming you "don't know how!" :D Very nice execution. :p

larry merlau
01-03-2005, 12:52 PM
well john you just gave me one more reason to come see ya!! the first was the mention of a barbucue with your D-C friend :D very nice and you do deserve all your credits. so dont know when but this yankee is comin yur way/ great job john.

Christian Aufreiter
01-03-2005, 1:10 PM
Hi John,

great job and good-looking bench.
Although I'm not a big fan of storage under the workbench you concept inspires me to design me a useful storage under my workbench.
How do you like the Sjöbergs top? I have anolder Sjöbergs bench with square dog holes and like its versatility. But sometimes I wish the top would be heavier.
Do you always retract the blades of your planes before storing them? Just a thought, how about attaching some kind of blanket (this stuff which is often used for jewelry chest) to the plane shelf?
Did I see your Systainer collection in the background of the second pic?

Regards,

Christian

Dennis Peacock
01-03-2005, 1:17 PM
John.......That looks so GREAT!!!!!!! Man.....I'm jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Congrats on a job well done my friend. I would LOVE to have a bench like that. One day soon....I hope!!!! ;)

John Miliunas
01-03-2005, 1:27 PM
Hi John,

great job and good-looking bench.
Although I'm not a big fan of storage under the workbench you concept inspires me to design me a useful storage under my workbench.
How do you like the Sjöbergs top? I have anolder Sjöbergs bench with square dog holes and like its versatility. But sometimes I wish the top would be heavier.
Do you always retract the blades of your planes before storing them? Just a thought, how about attaching some kind of blanket (this stuff which is often used for jewelry chest) to the plane shelf?
Did I see your Systainer collection in the background of the second pic?

Regards,

Christian

Sheeeesh...You guys continue to give me too much credit, but it is appreciated!:)

Christian, to address you inquiry; I had considered some type of "poofy" material, but elected to keep the open area all wood. I do not retract the irons on the planes. Instead, what I did is this: Each "parking spot" for the planes is divided with a piece of Walnut, approx. 1/2" wide by 3/8" thick. What is hard to see in the pic is that, at the bottom of the rack, right where the Cherry stop goes across, there is an additional 1/8" thick piece of Walnut, which acts as a "rest" for the toe of the planes. That effectively raises that part of the plane throat enough to keep it from resting on the iron. Also, the divider strips are just pinned in place with a 23ga. pinner, so that, if there is a need in the future to reconfigure the space for different planes, I can do so easily. If you like, I could easily shoot a picture of the rack without the planes on it. It's really not rocket science and a culmination of ideas, primarily accumulated from the place we know as the Creek!:D :cool:

Christian Aufreiter
01-03-2005, 2:02 PM
Sheeeesh...You guys continue to give me too much credit, but it is appreciated!:)

Christian, to address you inquiry; I had considered some type of "poofy" material, but elected to keep the open area all wood. I do not retract the irons on the planes. Instead, what I did is this: Each "parking spot" for the planes is divided with a piece of Walnut, approx. 1/2" wide by 3/8" thick. What is hard to see in the pic is that, at the bottom of the rack, right where the Cherry stop goes across, there is an additional 1/8" thick piece of Walnut, which acts as a "rest" for the toe of the planes. That effectively raises that part of the plane throat enough to keep it from resting on the iron. Also, the divider strips are just pinned in place with a 23ga. pinner, so that, if there is a need in the future to reconfigure the space for different planes, I can do so easily. If you like, I could easily shoot a picture of the rack without the planes on it. It's really not rocket science and a culmination of ideas, primarily accumulated from the place we know as the Creek!:D :cool:

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't notice that in the pic. Now it's clear to me that you have thought of everything. Very well done.

Christian

John Miliunas
01-03-2005, 2:11 PM
Thanks for the explanation, I didn't notice that in the pic. Now it's clear to me that you have thought of everything. Very well done.

Christian
Christian, not sure if I thought of everything, but I tried. More than anything, my attempt was to incorporate much of what I have learned here at SMC. The list of folks responsible for the inadvertent input would be far too long to list here!:)

BTW, yes, those are some of my Festool Systainers, lined up as soldiers ready to "attack"! Also, thus far, I am quite happy with the top. You're right that it is a bit on the light side, but hence the beefier base. If folks get the "stock" frame base for it, I could easily see where they would get the wrong impression of Sjobergs.:( Might be OK for someone using the bench for simple assembly, but not much more than that, I'm afraid.:cool:

Gene Collison
01-03-2005, 3:19 PM
John,

Nice job all the way! Now, since I have the same bench top I can offer you a suggestion. Down the road you should add a trough to the back of the bench to store frequently used tools and also to act as a catcher for tools that could fall off of the bench DAMHIKT! Make sure you make it big enough so it will hold a plane or another good sized tool. I made mine too small and have to redo it one of these days. When you build it, make it at the same level as the bench top so you can clamp to it.

Gene

John Miliunas
01-03-2005, 4:36 PM
John,

Nice job all the way! Now, since I have the same bench top I can offer you a suggestion. Down the road you should add a trough to the back of the bench to store frequently used tools and also to act as a catcher for tools that could fall off of the bench DAMHIKT! Make sure you make it big enough so it will hold a plane or another good sized tool. I made mine too small and have to redo it one of these days. When you build it, make it at the same level as the bench top so you can clamp to it.

Gene
Gene, a suggestion worthy of consideration! :) I basically put the shelf right underneath the work area to hopefully, serve that purpose. I find that I can even lay the big #5 on its side on the shelf, with little fear of knocking it off. BUT, having said that, I'll use the bench for a while and see. Good chance your suggestion may be something I opt to do, as you say, down the road. I'll live with it for a bit and see how I like it. I can certainly see where the trough on the back would be handier but, again knowing my own habits, I'm afraid it may start to accumulate unwanted/un-needed garbage, as well!:o Hey, so I'm not the neatest person around. So sue me!:D :) :cool:

Frank Pellow
01-04-2005, 2:35 AM
John, I was saving this thread to read at breakfast and was not disappointed (by the way, the breakfast was good too).

I like it when people explain why they did things a certain way, and you did a great job of that.

The plane rack is a perfect use of the space. I may copy that idea (even though my benches don't look anywhere as nice as yours, they do have an open cavity like yours)

Jeff Sudmeier
01-04-2005, 3:25 AM
I had the oportunity to see this in person on Friday afternoon. Man is it one sweet looking bench. It is rock solid as well.

Great job on the bench John!

Jim Dunn
01-04-2005, 4:25 AM
John,

I too liked what you did with the legs and end of the bench frame. Very nice job of using different woods to highlite each other.

Isn't good that "we who are not as good as" most of the other pros can tap into that vast pool of knowledge?

By the way Frank why are you eating breakfast at 1:30AM? Were you that hungry?

Bill White
01-04-2005, 1:35 PM
John, looks like the darned thing will fallapart any minute. (He he he). Great job. Bet ya won't wear it out this year.

nic obie
01-05-2005, 2:11 PM
Somehow I missed this thread yesterday....

Nice job John, you ended up with one solid bench.

Now don't be afraid to use it. Next time you post a picture of it I expect to see some chisel and saw marks. :)

Chris Padilla
01-05-2005, 3:51 PM
Sweet stuff, John! I'm really getting inspired to make my own bench.... :)

Charlie Woods
01-05-2005, 4:43 PM
WOW!!!:eek: A well thought out project, including, style beauty and function. Most importantly you gained experience with new techniques, and methods that you had not used before. I try to make every project a learning experience in some way ( large or small) whether in the design or the building. You have something that you can proudly display and use, then pass it on to your kids.
Great Job.

Terry Hatfield
01-05-2005, 6:10 PM
Dude!!!!!!! That is a super job!!!! No you got a fine place to make some shavin's and plenty of planes to make 'em with.

t

Bob Noles
01-05-2005, 6:49 PM
That, my friend can be describe with a single word..... "AWESOME".

I will begin work on my first bench in a couple of weeks. I can only "hope" it turns out half as well as yours.

GREAT job!

John Miliunas
01-05-2005, 7:19 PM
I've said it before and I find need to say it again: You guys are all way, WAY too kind! Much appreciated.:)

Frank, I've seen your projects. Copy away, but I can only imagine your improved versions will make mine look silly!

Hey Jeff, think they'll have a nice WW shop on that there cruise ship you'll be on in a couple weeks?:D

Jim, remember that Frank's retired. He can do most anything he wants in each 24-hr time frame. Back in my younger days, I had breakfast a LOT of times at 1:30 in the morning. ('Course, seeing as to how "bar time" was 1:00am....:D )

Bill, if that thing falls apart, I'm quittin' woodworking!

Whatdya' mean "...afraid to USE it..", Nic? You're not saying I have to actually do WORK on it, do you? But...., but....., but what if it gets a scratch or something like that in it?! :eek:

Chris, with that "new" shop in the works, NOW is the perfect time to do it, my friend! You've got the tools and the skills to knock one out, so why not?:)

Thanks Charlie, it really was a good experience, though I doubt any of my girls would be too interested in it. On the other hand, they might get a decent buck or two for it at auction and buy themselves a dress or two.:D

Terry, not nearly as big or as nice as your monster bench, but it should serve the purpose just fine.

Bob, first of all, please allow me to give you a big, fat "WELCOME" to the Creek! It's truly a great place to hang out. Take your shoes off, wade on in and make yourself ta' home! And, to repeat myself one more time, if a klutz like myself can pull it off, ANY guy or gal here at SMC can do it, though most would probably make mine look a little silly! That's OK, too.:) :cool:

Frank Pellow
01-05-2005, 8:07 PM
John,
By the way Frank why are you eating breakfast at 1:30AM? Were you that hungry?
Jim, the time on Saw Mill Creek was screwed up when it stamped my post that you are referring to. :( I actually had breakfast at 6:30 (Eastern Standard Time). Some may argue that 6:30 is also too early, but I thin that it's an ideal time for breakfast. :)

Keith Cope
01-05-2005, 8:26 PM
John,

Very nice job. You should certainly be proud to have that in your shop! I'd also like to say congratulations on "pulling the trigger"--I suspect there are a lot of us out here that 1) collect tools we may not have used yet and 2) see techniques and ideas from fellow creekers (and other places) and think 'I'd like to try that some day'... but 'some day' can be a little elusive. Maybe we can be inspired to get started on a learning bench too!

Keith

Charlie Woods
01-05-2005, 10:52 PM
John:
Don't underestimate you daughters. Over the last 8 years, about half of my best student technicians( scene shop carpenters, assistant Tech directors, ligting designers) have all been girls. They seem to have more patience and the ability to think a problem through more than the guys. Who knows one day they may come into the shop and surprise you. I have had more than one mother complain that I have made their daughter into a tomboy,( needless to say dad is always thrilled;) ) when they take my classes. Even if your daughters don't take up the craft, they have a very creative dad who can take a lifeless piece of wood and create something with it.
Once again awesome job!!!:D

Keith Outten
01-06-2005, 2:34 AM
John,

Your new workbench is a beauty. Tell the truth, in the morning when you first enter your workshop with your coffee cup in hand you take a few minutes to admire the new bench...don't cha :)

Jay Knoll
01-06-2005, 7:30 AM
John,

Super job on the bench, it looks great, I appreciate your sharing your design process with us.

Jay

Kent Cori
01-08-2005, 6:45 PM
Beautiful workbench John. I know you're going to treasure it every time you use it.

Louis Bois
02-04-2005, 9:27 PM
I like it John. I REALLY like it. I'm especially proud of your little collection...you know the one...hiding there...under that massive dissiduous carcase. Congratulations and enjoy...enjoy...ENJOY!

John Miliunas
02-04-2005, 9:47 PM
Sheeesh....I thought this thread was history some time ago! Thank you Louis for bringing it up again, as well as to all those who posted comments after my last, long-winded reply.:D

As it happens, quite timely, as I was just talking to LOML about it yesterday evening. I truly don't know what I've done for all these years without it! I use it for just about everything I do in the shop now! And, as I had suspected, it's already seen use for both, sanding and hammering on! Glad I left the bottom in a relatively open condition!:) If anyone has considered building one, I highly recommend and no, you do NOT have to be a Neander to appreciate the amount of functionality it adds to one's shop. Do it and you'll be happy you did!:) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Great job John!

Mark Stutz
02-04-2005, 11:40 PM
John,
Well executed and thought out design. Don't worry about the "unused" space to the left of the plane rack. Those calorie powered tools will multiply almost overnight sometimes. I'm sure it will be filled with more planes in the blink of an eye. ;) :D

Mark

Kelly C. Hanna
02-05-2005, 7:24 AM
Very, very nice bench John!! I love the curl and the dowels. Looks like that bench will last you a lifetime!

John Miliunas
02-05-2005, 9:42 AM
Thanks yet again, gents!:) Also, FWIW, if any of you are interested in doing something on this order, Woodcraft currently has this exact top on sale currently! (No affiliation, blah, blah, blah.....:D ) If you have a WC within a reasonable distance, might be worth a little ride. Shipping would probably negate much, if not all, of the savings.:(

Mark, you just ain't kiddin' about those calorie burners multiplying! I swear that they propagate like bunny rabbits! I almost have enough to build an additional rack, though I think I'll wait until I get a couple other pieces to round out my users.:) :cool:

Dale Thompson
02-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi Spring!

Hey, bud, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was something that you were going to sit on while your daughter was "learning" you how to use all of your tools. ;) MAN! Was I ever WRONG!! :eek:

John, you are a scholar and an artist. That is one BEAUTIFUL piece of "shop furniture". I wish that the cabinets in my kitchen was as inspiring and functional as your "Learning Bench". :o

I may have to reconsider all of the nasty things that I've said to you in the past - Welllll - maybe SOME of them. :) Now why don't you go and clean up that MESS behind the georgeous bench? ;)

Great job, "Badgerman"!! :D :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
02-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi Spring!

Great job, "Badgerman"!! :D :)

Dale T.
Dale, coming from one whom I believe to be one of the Masters of this craft, your words mean an awful lot to me, my friend! Just trying to add a tiny bit craftwork to this end of Wisconsin. :) A sincere "THANKS"!:) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
02-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Revisiting the bench again makes me want to say "'absolutely BEAUTIFUL". Great job John. You should be proud!! And Randy Moss didn't even help you:D !Terrific craftsmanship and results!!

Jim Guy
02-06-2005, 6:11 AM
John, the bench looks great. It challanges me as does so many things I see here. I'm on this site most every day but only post from time to time. Mostly because I don't feel my knowledge is enough to make a difference. I am however enjoying learning. I say that just to say, thanks so much to you and so many others who take the time to share your knowledge (and work) with those of us who have only been in this for a short while.

Steve Inniss
02-06-2005, 7:39 AM
John,

I missed this thread 1st time around, glad someone resurrected it. That's a beautiful work of functional art. I also want to say that I appreciate you going to the trouble of explaining the planning/execution thought process. Ever since I started battling the instant gratification bug and began enjoying the process, the design, engineering, jigging, test, etc. stuff is my favourite part of woodworking. 'Course it is still good for the endorphin flow looking at the finished item, like that bench - mmmmmm.
I'd hate to have to do the mortising with an attachment on a C-man DP though...
-Steve

Kelly C. Hanna
02-06-2005, 9:09 AM
I have to echo Jim...I too read all the threads I can but rarely post except to say how good lookin' a project is. I'm a carpenter who aspires to build better projects.

Christopher Stahl
02-06-2005, 9:42 AM
Jim, I liked your table so much, that I went down to Woodcraft and bought one of those Sjoberg workbench tops yesterday.
:)

chris