PDA

View Full Version : need help with two different adhesive type questions

Kevin Gregoire
12-07-2010, 12:54 PM
i see some woodworking shows and various magazine articles where they
are either using a jig or building one such as the fence on a miter gauge
and they have an adhesive backed piece of sandpaper attached. its on
there to help keep the wood from slipping and moving and the paper is
always white(ish) so i assume its around 180 - 220 grit?

can anyone please tell me what is the best all around grit to use for a jig?
i also see a lot of places sell a 150 grit too?

also, what does everyone use for double sided tape? i see articles talk
about carpet tape and the stuff i bought i have to 'dirty' it up with my fingers
before using it or its so sticky i cant pull the boards apart and its kind of
thick spongy stuff? the tape i see in magazines and wood shows looks
really thin?

thanks for any help

Howard Acheson
12-07-2010, 1:34 PM
I use 120 grit paper for my "non-skid" surfaces on my fixtures. I attach it either with double sided carpet tape or a spray adhesive like 3M #77. Either works fine.

Double sided carpet tape does not have a foam component. That's a different type of tape. Go to the carpet installation section at Home Depot and your will see two types of double sided carpet tape. One is paper based and the other is cloth based. It use the cloth type.

Paul DeCarlo
12-07-2010, 3:43 PM
Try looking at the 3M website for VHB tape. All different kinds.

Jim Rimmer
12-08-2010, 2:06 PM
I use 120 grit paper for my "non-skid" surfaces on my fixtures. I attach it either with double sided carpet tape or a spray adhesive like 3M #77. Either works fine.

Double sided carpet tape does not have a foam component. That's a different type of tape. Go to the carpet installation section at Home Depot and your will see two types of double sided carpet tape. One is paper based and the other is cloth based. It use the cloth type.
+1 on the 3M adhesive and 120 grit.

I bought double sided tape at Woodcraft that works really well for holding templates, etc. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000390/3903/DoubleFaced-Tape-1-x-36-yds.aspx

ray hampton
12-08-2010, 8:37 PM
I had the foam type of double-side tape and other types that I got from Lowe's, none of the tape are all that good, will try office depot or staples office supply soon